GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found the driver side rear running light out. I want to change the bulb, but can't reach the area unless I take the rear tire off. Well, the rear tire will not come right off...The rear fender comes too low.

I have been told to let all the air out of the tire then try. Not sure of the step without lower the rear end down off the jack to make the tire a smaller circumference once the air is out.

What other ways have you Roadsmith owners taken your rear tires off to work on the rear lights?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't have photos Mike but if you jack the rear of the trike up you will see where you can place jackstands up close to the trailing arm pivot points. When you lower the jack the rear wheels will lower into the wheel well opening.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Use a floor jack under the plate that the rearend is bolted to. This will let the tires fall. And if you are using the oem suspension controls, set it to it's highest setting.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Now what type/size/brand bulb do I have ready???

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
On my Road Smith there is a section where you reach up in there and just twist the light socket and change the bulb. Taking the wheel off won't help with anymore room. There is a partition behind the wheels so removing the wheel won't help.

Barney

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Guys-
Don't think I am criticizing this web site. I use it all the time and will continue to do so particularly for my 12 two wheeler. But as far as my 13 Roadsmith trike goes, I have found the Trike Talk web site seems to do a better job of addressing any issues I have with the trike. This is probably because the whole web site is dedicated to trikes and get many more participants. They even have a separate section for Roadsmith trikes. I have used this section and have had all my questions answered.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I belong to that web site as well.

I posted there as well. One replied so far and did not give me a number....just that he replaced his without taking tire off.

That did not help me.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my Road Smith there is a section where you reach up in there and just twist the light socket and change the bulb. Taking the wheel off won't help with anymore room. There is a partition behind the wheels so removing the wheel won't help.

Barney
I looked Sunday. I see a Gromit with 3-4 wires going though. I tried reaching up and pulling on the Gromit, but no luck. Not sure that is even the point I need to be pulling.

I also have mud flaps on. That blocks my path as well.

O-well, I will prob just take it to a trike shop about 1 hour away. I will give them a small laundry list of things to do since they have it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The lights are in the housing itself. Simply feel where the wire goes into the housing itself and twist the socket anticlockwise and the socket will come out with the bulb. Replace the bulb and replace the socket and your done.

Don't touch the bulb with your bare hands.

Barney

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The lights are in the housing itself. Simply feel where the wire goes into the housing itself and twist the socket anticlockwise and the socket will come out with the bulb. Replace the bulb and replace the socket and your done.

Don't touch the bulb with your bare hands.

Barney
Thank you Barney,
I have not had a light problem as of yet, BUT we all know it's going to happen... I don't want to return to my "builder" to have anything repaired/fixed as he will totally rip your wallet right out in front of you...and return it empty (with a large smile)...............:frown2:

Ronnie

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mike, here's a note I got from Dick, the founder of RS, seems that All Out Power Sports now doing the RS conversions in Daytona Beach.

2 AM Hello Bill- Yes, Dan does not work there anymore. There is a Top Notch mechanic named John that does all the installs. He was an instructor a Wyotec College teaching Motorcycle Mechanics until they closed. John can help you with all your needs. I am also available to help even thou I am RETIRED AND LOVING IT. Thanks Dick KEEP-ON-TRIKEN

·
Registered
840 Posts
I tried taking out the left rear bulb and you can reach it without taking tire off but the grommet is a pain to get out and even more so to put back in. Tried to take acorn nuts of but they are secured in with undercoating and only spun

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It's not a grommet. It's the bulb socket itself. Just twist it 1/4 turn to the left, anticlockwise, and the bulb will almost fall out with the socket.

Barney

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
It's not a grommet. It's the bulb socket itself. Just twist it 1/4 turn to the left, anticlockwise, and the bulb will almost fall out with the socket.

Barney
This is good to know. ** Thank you*

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts