GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My Roady interfered with my SP III, and I returned the Roady to Delphi for replacement under warranty. I received a new unit, today, supposedly shielded, so as to not do the same thing. It does the same thing. :(

It might be better than its predecessor, in that I think I may be able to use it if I keep it inside one of the fairing pockets. With my GPS on the left handlebar, the Roady on the right handlebar, or anywhere else on the front half of the bike, sucks the signal from the GPS, causing "lost satellite reception".

I don't know whether to use it inside the fairing pocket [less convenient for changing stations, but good for weather] or whether to return it and go for a SkyFi, which doesn't seem to have this problem.

Anyone have luck using their Roady with a SPIII?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mark,

I mounted mine in the right pocket. I shielded the pocket with aluminum tape. (On the outside of the pocket.) The biggest difference in minimizing interference was wiring the Roady to a different set of wires than the GPS was connected to. I now get minimal interference. Occasionally the GPS will lose its signal, but not often. I haven't received a replacement Roady yet, but I hope it helps. I love the XM radio and like the Roady being concealed and weather proof in the fairing.

Did they want your old radio back?? I have a 'Problem' # from Delphi. Did they contact you or did you have to keep calling them??

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Shooter,

I called the tech support number for Delphi. They had me ship my old Roady to their return center, and shipped the replacement the day they received it. No waiting involved. Call again, if you are waiting to hear from them.

'll try keeping mine in the fairing pocket and see if I can get away with that.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Update. I road around for several hours yesterday with the [new] Roady operating from within the left fairing pocket. The SPIII was on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. There did not seem to be noticeable interference; at least I never lost satellite reception. So, I'll keep the Roady in the pocket. As stated before, I can't place the Roady anywhere on the front of the bike w/o killing the GPS' reception, but I can, apparently, keep it inside the fairing pocket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts