GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just on a site twowheelradio.com they have a couple mentions that they will soon have a roady weather cover.

before you get all excited, the skyfi one is $ 50

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rich, i bet those are a lttle less than $ 50 a piece.

i have the same idea for my non waterproof gps unit if i ever need it in the foul weather.

ill have the pacific coast out for a ride today, yes its pushing spring, but i am getting weary of waiting for spring.

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
What are the odds that I'd pay $50 for a rain cover for a $70 Roady?

That isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
In defense of the $50 rain shield, I received my first shipment of parts from them (http://www.twowheelradio.com) yesterday and I was very impressed with the construction and quality of the shield.

The back piece is molded to fit the most common RAM mounting plates and looks like it will fit very well. The front piece is molded to fit all the buttons and knobs cleanly, and the clear window makes the display readable with the cover in place. The silicone is very thick and appears durable.
I'm not sure that I'd replace my ziploc with it for the price, but after spending some time actually making stuff and seeing what it costs to prototype something like this - let alone have it manufactured, I can understand why it costs more than $5.

I had designed a plastic radar detector enclosure that would mount under the mirror and matched the contours and shapes so that it would look like it belonged. I mocked the unit up and went to a local plastics manufacturer for some quotes. Just to make the model they needed for the first prototype would have cost me $1,500 plus more for any changes needed before production, and then minimum production runs would've put the whole project near $5,000.

I understand that it seems expensive, but when you actually start to do these things with your own money, you see that there might be a reason for the price.

At school whenever we used to complain about an expensive tool or process, one of my teachers used to tell us: "Maybe that's how you'll make your millions? Build a better mousetrap or accept what's there for us now".

The low price of the Roady and the cost of making the cover may be why there isn't one available yet.

The most ironic thing about the rain cover? He ships it in a zipper-style ziploc bag - just perfect for the budget-conscious user! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts