GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By The Associated Press

ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. (AP) -- A Rock Springs man was sentenced to eight to 10 years in prison for a drunken driving crash that killed a motorcyclist.

Richard Chubb pleaded no contest to aggravated vehicular homicide Friday in a plea agreement that calls for him to pay more than $8,000 in restitution, court costs and other fees.

Police say Chubb was driving under the influence of alcohol on March 25 when he hit a motorcycle driven by John Harlow, who died in the crash.

Chubb initially pleaded not guilty, but changed his plea Friday.

"For whatever it is worth, he regrets and is sorry for what has happened," Chubb's attorney, Leonard Kaumo, said. "He wishes it would have never happened."

Information from: Rock Springs Rocket-Miner, http://www.rocketminer.com

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
"He wishes it would have never happened."
Not near as much as John Harlow does.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I wish I was a couple of inches taller.

I wish I knew then what I know now.

If wishes were dishes we would all have cupboards full.

Responsibility comes before the action. Accountability comes afterwards.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good to see that there is some justice out there... :yes1:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
he should have just said "my name is Bill Janklow", then he could have spent just three months in jail.

·
Registered
607 Posts
$8,000.00.
I've always wondered what our court system thought the public was worth.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,186 Posts
$8,000! That probably didn't cover the bike! I thought people were worth a little more than that. Damn plea deals! :evil:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Don't forget the Taxpayers that will feed and cloth him for 8 -10 years FREE health care - you just can't do enough for the living can you.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The $8000 was the criminal fine. He is still subject to a civil lawsuit by the family of the guy he killed. If he has money or insurance that could amount to a lot more and it may even be collectable. The law has ways of putting an economic value on a life, and on the suffering of surviving relatives (spouse, children), which are almost always inadequate, but how could they be anything else. The life of a loved one is priceless.

On the other hand, if the guy was a real $hit, his family might prefer the monbey! Should give you pause to think about the way you treat those around you.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:( Sad as it is, at least he got some penalty. There are so many times that the system/prosecutors won't do anything about a motorcycle fatality. Had a kid here a couple of years ago who killed a rider and crippled his co-rider/wife for life and got a year in jail with some fine. No insurance or possessions so nothing to go after civily. Sucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts