GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit early, but in anticipation of PMS I'm wondering if anybody from the NJ/NY/PA area is putting together a plan for the run out to Dave's for the Rockies-Gold 2007 Colorado Adventure in July of next year.

I am planning on doing this trip and would be interested in doing a group ride out there. My thoughts are... because of my limited available time to make this trip, I would want to power slab it out there and then just chill and ride for a few days, then power slab it back home. I might even be interested in making the ride out an Iron Butt ride if anybody wants to.

Google Maps tells me it's 2,039 miles and 1 day, 13 hours ride from my town, Woodbridge, NJ to Montrose, CO. Any takers for an IBA run?

In any case, I would like to do the ride out with a group, small or large... and fast. So I'm just putting out my feelers to see if I can muster something up.

8)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Soloquest,

I'm going to the Rockies Gold as well and I live in Marlboro, NJ. However, I'm not into an Iron Butt ride there as I'm retired and have plenty of time to get there. A couple of bikes' are okay, but I'm not into large group rides, as it takes forever for food and fuel stops.

I see from the map on your message that you intend on taking the PA Turnpike. I hate that road for the road condition (bad) and the lack of escapes if you need one due to the guard rail being on both sides of the road.

What I'm going to do is take I-78 to I-81 to I 68 to I-70. Or I might even take a longer way there to eliminate riding in windy Kansas.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and perhaps we can talk.

Regards,

Mike T.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Whereas I'd love to join ya... getting time off in July at my workplace, is not an option. :-(

Tom
(eligible to retire in 6 years, and still in the lower half of the seniority ladder)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Italian Stallion said:
I see from the map on your message that you intend on taking the PA Turnpike.
I have no planned route or ride at this time. I just put the origin/destination into Google Maps and that's what it spit out. I am totally flexible at this point and I am just gathering information and seeing what developes for a ride out there. I figure I have 10 days total to do it. I enjoy leisurely scenic rides solo or in a group, and the same with "spirited" rides. The IBA thing is just an idea, as I feel that is something I'd like to do, and this may be a good opportunity for it... on the way there or on the way back. There's plenty of time to plan this and see what pans out. I'm sure there will be several groups riding different rides out there at different times. Let's all keep posting and gathering info, and the groups and rides will all come together.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Floyd,
Rosalyn and I will be coming from the NE direction, still on our way back slowly but surely from Cats Cade ‘07 and entering CO thru Cheyenne. Maybe we can do like we did in 05 on our way to Bulldog’s and rendezvous as individuals or small groups and ride together the last day, this time into Montrose. We’ll be camping about 4 days in Rocky Mtn NP prior to this so we could meet up anywhere with you or anyone else on I-70 west of Denver or on CO-24 west of Colorado Springs or CO-50 west of Pueblo (Poncha Springs perhaps). This is going to be a blast. See you in June.
Bill

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just made the trip out to Dave's (wingnutzz) area in Sept and can say the trip is worth it, and it was pretty much the way Floyd showed. But going across Kansas again... no way! Italian Stallion is right on the wind, but wrong on the PA turnpike being guard rails the entire length, but theres other ways. I plan on going out again next year, by way of a different route. Looking to head north a little bit and then cut down to the front range of Co. I have traveled the Rt 70 a couple times over the years and its no dream ride. This last trip I got off Rt 70 in Oakley, KA and took a road that lead to Co Springs and it was proably the only part of Kansas (no offense Kansas members) that made the state worth going thru.

I know a few guys from Jersey are talking about going out and it would be nice to have a few riders along the way and meeting a few more. But I believe it will still have to be base on the solitary ride like Hal's this year. Some will want to ride hard others will stop off to enjoy new sites. Pretty of time to put it together yet.
Let me finish by saying the area Dave pick has some nice areas to ride and bring your camera!

Dennis

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Soloquest,

I'm going to the Rockies Gold as well and I live in Marlboro, NJ. Mike T.
I am think of going too. I use to work down in Marlboro for 15 years.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill said:
Hey Floyd,
Rosalyn and I will be coming from the NE direction, still on our way back slowly but surely from Cats Cade ‘07
Hey Bill, Glad to hear you're going to be at Cats-Cade 07. We missed you this year. (and talked about you :lol: ) I wish I had as much time as you have to leisurely enjoy riding around the country. In any case, we will definitely hook up and it will be nice to see you and Rosalyn.

Italian Stallion said:
I'll keep looking for your post on this board as well as Wingnutzz's as time nears and we'll see what's what.
Mike, that's the intention of my post... just to get the ball rolling a bit and see how many of us right coasters are heading out there. BTW, I work not far from you, in Middletown.

wingnutzz said:
This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
I think that's an understatement!! :lol: :lol:

Soloquest said:
The IBA thing is just an idea, as I feel that is something I'd like to do, and this may be a good opportunity for it... on the way there or on the way back. There's plenty of time to plan this and see what pans out.
If I find someone who's interested in this I may do it. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me to do it on the way out there. This way, the bike is "fresh", I am fresh, my supplies are in order, and I can crash... well maybe that's a bad choice of words... let's say, SLEEP and recover for a spell when I get out there before all the fun riding begins. It would be foolish to attempt it on the way home after I'm all worn out from partying and riding Colorodo style. :roll:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Not sure if the wife will OK another vacation time without her (who's gonna watch the kids) after Cats Cade, but I'd love to take my daughter out. But it may be too long on the wing for her (especially since I-70 KS miles are dog ones: 1 mile feels like 7) so I may trailer it (God, did I just say that :oops: ) to make it easier on her if we do go. Momma's not keen on the idea of me taking her.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Give us a heads up as you make plans. Im about five hours north of where you are expecting to end up in Denver (im in Southern WY). Not sure what my summer plans are yet.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
You guys are planning way too much freeway :cry:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Dave at this rate, we're going to be the biggest attraction in Montrose, We may be the only guests in at least one motel :D

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
oldguy said:
Dave at this rate, we're going to be the biggest attraction in Montrose, We may be the only guests in at least one motel :D
Definitely in the one motel, and probably one or two others next door.
Can't wait to ge tthe info posted in a couple of weeks and see who all is coming. Should be a lot of great fun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jerry,(nwkshusker)
We got all your wind last evening, 62mph gusts. Hey you going to this Colorado ride? would be great to see ya. We are planning on making it our vacation so not sure where else we will ride to....maybe CA ? Always open for ideas..

RIDE SAFE

Kenny

·
Registered
781 Posts
Kenny, good to hear from ya, Yes I am thinking of doing this ride, I think finally by next summer I should have my vacation time built back up to the max so I can start going to some of these rides. I still want to go back east to Americade but I think I can make it to Colorado also. It would be neat to meet some of these guys on the board and share a laugh or two and maybe a corona or two also since that seems to be the drink of choice. I will keep ya posted and it would be good to see you guys again too, I really do miss Chapter V, you guys are all a lot of fun.

Jerry

PS, I think you guys had us beat on the wind, it was only 30-40 mph winds here this time.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Rockies July 2007

I obviously can't join in the ride there (coming from the west coast), but I'd be interested in knowing more about he gathering. Would someone please enlighten me?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts