GL1800Riders Forums banner

161 - 180 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I just returned from driving south from northwest Montana to the Sonoran desert. I traveled west of the Colorado Rockies but the air quality was really crappy due to all the fires. Hopefully Colorado is being spared of this crap.

·
Love The DCT
11,810 Posts
I just returned from driving south from northwest Montana to the Sonoran desert. I traveled west of the Colorado Rockies but the air quality was really crappy due to all the fires. Hopefully Colorado is being spared of this crap.
Colorado really hasn't been spared. They've had air quality alerts nearly every day for the past week. Smoke and pollutants are being transported eastward to the front range urban corridor. Presently there is air quality alerts for Douglas, Jefferson, Denver, western Arapahoe, western Adams, Broomfield, Boulder, Larimer, and Weld counties till 4 PM today.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Colorado really hasn't been spared. They've had air quality alerts nearly every day for the past week. Smoke and pollutants are being transported eastward to the front range urban corridor. Presently there is air quality alerts for Douglas, Jefferson, Denver, western Arapahoe, western Adams, Broomfield, Boulder, Larimer, and Weld counties till 4 PM today.
Utah hasn't been spared either.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I too, am going to be a ‘no-show’ this year. my son was going to be making the trip along with me, but it’s not meant to be. Hope the weather is fantastic for ‘y’all.

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
FEW YEARS AGO I WAS IN DINOSAUR PARK OUT THERE AND THEY HAVE A PLACE TO CAMP TO SEE THE STARS BECAUSE NO OUTSIDE LIGHT GETS IN CANYON. PROBLEM WAS FIRES TO THE WEST HAD THE CANYON FULL OF SMOKE = CANCELLED :( BELIEVE THAT TRIP I WENT AND DID ROAD TO THE SUN AND THEY OPENED THE ROAD THE DAY I GOT THERE BUT FIRES WERE STILL GOING AND NO TURNOFFS WERE OPEN. COULD LOOK UP MOUNTAIN AND SEE THE FLAMES BUT TERRAIN WAS SO STEEP THE FIREMAN WERE JUST WATCHING .

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
We must not have lost too many people yet. I had reservations at the Black Canyon earlier this year for Rockies Gold, and I thought I was not going to be able to make it, so I cancelled the room. My situation changed again so I tried to get a room the second time. When I called yesterday I was initially told they did not have any single bed rooms left in the block, but then they called me back about 15 minutes later and said one guest had just cancelled and offered me their single room. It sounded like the block of rooms is still pretty full.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Planning on attending - first time. Doing ride preps
and wondering about itinerary once there. Guessing that
Thursday 17th is just arrival day? Reason I'm asking is I
will have 600 and 500 mile back-to-back rides to get there
and don't want to be a zombie the next day.
Getting a little older now.
If Thursday is a ride day I can leave a day earlier.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Planning on attending - first time. Doing ride preps
and wondering about itinerary once there. Guessing that
Thursday 17th is just arrival day? Reason I'm asking is I
will have 600 and 500 mile back-to-back rides to get there
and don't want to be a zombie the next day.
Getting a little older now.
If Thursday is a ride day I can leave a day earlier.
Thursday is a ride day. Wednesday is when most people gather at the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
As this thing gets closer I am getting more concerned about events. I have done everything I can to get my ducks in a row. Including hopefully my last eye surgery follow up next week, the last of two minor skin surgeries is supposed to be on the 4th. and the stiches to be removed on the 11th. and I have postponed finishing up on my last root canal till I get back from the ride. The one thing I have no control over is all those systems in the Atlantic lining up to take their shot at us. I hope it ain't a repeat of what happened in 2017 with hurricane Erma that knocked us Florida guys out of the trip. You guys that don't live in hurricane alley probably don't know what I'm talking about but one of these things don't have to hit you to really foul the works up. I have been with out power for up to 4 days before from a storm that the eye didn't come within 100 miles from where I live. On the other hand Irma which came right up the state and just barley missed my house and I didn't lose power but less than an hour and only lost a few limbs out of some trees. On the other hand some of my friends that live closer to the creek lost everything from flooding. All we can do is watch, wait and pray.🙏

·
motorcycle cowboy
909 Posts
As this thing gets closer I am getting more concerned about events. I have done everything I can to get my ducks in a row. Including hopefully my last eye surgery follow up next week, the last of two minor skin surgeries is supposed to be on the 4th. and the stiches to be removed on the 11th. and I have postponed finishing up on my last root canal till I get back from the ride. The one thing I have no control over is all those systems in the Atlantic lining up to take their shot at us. I hope it ain't a repeat of what happened in 2017 with hurricane Erma that knocked us Florida guys out of the trip. You guys that don't live in hurricane alley probably don't know what I'm talking about but one of these things don't have to hit you to really foul the works up. I have been with out power for up to 4 days before from a storm that the eye didn't come within 100 miles from where I live. On the other hand Irma which came right up the state and just barley missed my house and I didn't lose power but less than an hour and only lost a few limbs out of some trees. On the other hand some of my friends that live closer to the creek lost everything from flooding. All we can do is watch, wait and pray.🙏
Bob, You've certainly had your share of maladies. Getting older ain't for sissies! I hope that all who are wanting to go are able to do so.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As this thing gets closer I am getting more concerned about events. I have done everything I can to get my ducks in a row. Including hopefully my last eye surgery follow up next week, the last of two minor skin surgeries is supposed to be on the 4th. and the stiches to be removed on the 11th. and I have postponed finishing up on my last root canal till I get back from the ride. The one thing I have no control over is all those systems in the Atlantic lining up to take their shot at us. I hope it ain't a repeat of what happened in 2017 with hurricane Erma that knocked us Florida guys out of the trip. You guys that don't live in hurricane alley probably don't know what I'm talking about but one of these things don't have to hit you to really foul the works up. I have been with out power for up to 4 days before from a storm that the eye didn't come within 100 miles from where I live. On the other hand Irma which came right up the state and just barley missed my house and I didn't lose power but less than an hour and only lost a few limbs out of some trees. On the other hand some of my friends that live closer to the creek lost everything from flooding. All we can do is watch, wait and pray.
I remember when you had to cancel for Erma. I hope God has mercy on the Floridians this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
PRAYERS TO TX !! :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
We are leaving MisterK in charge while we are gone. He can ride anywhere and sleep anywhere with his Africa Twin and his hammock.
That's what Glen said when I talked to him. I told him if I were the people left behind in Texas. I would be somewhat apprehensive. 🤠 :devilish:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
The forecast lows for Montrose during Rockies Gold 2020 is the high 40's. Definitely going to be cooler in the high mountain passes.
Bring your warmies!! :D

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
I just got alerted to this ride when I posted on a small gathering I've put together over on the "other" F6B board, for about the same time frame.

No Frills Rally

Hope to see some of you folks out and about!
MOST WILL BE AT BLACK CANYON MOTEL USUALLY HANG OUT IN PARKING LOT TILL AT LEAST DARK

·
Registered
75 Posts
MOST WILL BE AT BLACK CANYON MOTEL USUALLY HANG OUT IN PARKING LOT TILL AT LEAST DARK
Sounds good, we'll keep it in mind. Most of us are at the Holiday Inn, not too far away. I feel more welcomed here than on the other F6B forum; a couple of us have gotten booted off over there in the past week, for the audacity of having a 2020 rally that is NOT in the Smokies. :rolleyes:

161 - 180 of 325 Posts