GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
261 - 280 of 325 Posts

·
Administrator
4,153 Posts
Let me know if you guys do make it over this way. I’m living in Cody now, and maybe we can meet up for lunch if you’re just passing thru… or do dinner if one of your overnight stops is here.
Tom, your reports of all the smoke got us to rethinking our plans. Also, we got one report today that Beartooth is closed for snow.

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,298 Posts
Tom, your reports of all the smoke got us to rethinking our plans. Also, we got one report today that Beartooth is closed for snow.
Nah, Beartooth ain’t closed. Bright & sunny, and no snow in weeks. But can’t say I blame you in re the plans. I mean, the roads are still curvy, but there’s just no scenery right now.

Here are a link for live cams in Red Lodge, MT on the north (east) end of the Beartooth… and for one in Cooke City off of the west end. You can see the haze, and mountains in the distance obscured by smoke.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Here's an excellent website for seeing what sort of a smoke plume awaits. It's a national map and seems to be updated hourly.

For a cell phone app try "Breezometer". Very easy to use.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
To Ron or anyone else in the know:
What’s the masking situation in Colorado? Restaurants, Hotels and gas stations. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I want over Beartooth Pass last Thursday afternoon and the temperature according to my Goldwing was 56 degrees about 2 in the afternoon. The winds were around 10 MPH so that was no problem at all for this boy from the windy state of Kansas. There was certainly a haze in the air over the entire area and in some places it actually smelled a little like smoke. However, I had no problem breathing.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I have a 2 queen bed room at the Black Canyon that I reserved at the ride in price. My wife was planning to come with me this year, but that fell through, so I have a bed available for anyone that thinks they can put up with me for a few days. Please let me know if you are interested.

I plan to be in Montrose early in the evening on Wednesday and will be staying through Sunday morning.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have a 2 queen bed room at the Black Canyon that I reserved at the ride in price. My wife was planning to come with me this year, but that fell through, so I have a bed available for anyone that thinks they can put up with me for a few days. Please let me know if you are interested.

I plan to be in Montrose early in the evening on Wednesday and will be staying through Sunday morning.
Terry, I will need a room as I'm riding out from Ohio with Glockjock. We plan on arriving a day or so early so myself or Glen will give you a message.
Rick
aka Hondahawk

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
Thank you for the info. I also would like a report from someone with recent personal experience. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colorado has no statewide mask mandate right now. A couple of area counties are asking people to mask up if you are inside a business. Obviously hospitals, government offices, airports, etc are exceptions.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
That should make the passes in the high 60's or low 70's 👍

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ron -

Is it possible to get an overview of the rides you may lead on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for RG? Just a general idea of the routes and mileage would be great.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Ron -

Is it possible to get an overview of the rides you may lead on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for RG? Just a general idea of the routes and mileage would be great.

Thanks.

Dave
I don’t have anything specifically planned out; just whatever folks want to do. The closures on 50 and 550 Thursday and Friday will “help” with some choices. Friday we usually run up 141 to Gateway, Naturita, Norwood and back through Ridgway. Takes about 7 hours and let’s us be back ahead of time to get set up for the BBQ.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I don’t have anything specifically planned out; just whatever folks want to do. The closures on 50 and 550 Thursday and Friday will “help” with some choices. Friday we usually run up 141 to Gateway, Naturita, Norwood and back through Ridgway. Takes about 7 hours and let’s us be back ahead of time to get set up for the BBQ.
This is a route I put together with the intention of pursuing it on Friday. Hopefully I've got it right; if so I'm far brighter than I thought. If not, I hope Ron will correct me.
Anyhow, what time do you plan to meet/depart? I assume you'll be meeting at the Black Canyon Motel. We're staying at the Super-8 and that's why the attached *.pdf show that. Should anyone want the Garmin GPS *.gpx file, shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll make that happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 · (Edited)
This is a route I put together with the intention of pursuing it on Friday. Hopefully I've got it right; if so I'm far brighter than I thought. If not, I hope Ron will correct me.
Anyhow, what time do you plan to meet/depart? I assume you'll be meeting at the Black Canyon Motel. We're staying at the Super-8 and that's why the attached *.pdf show that. Should anyone want the Garmin GPS *.gpx file, shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll make that happen.
Well, I’ll leave it to someone else to determine the “brightness factor,” but you did get this route right!

We usually meet up at the BC Inn about 7:45ish and decide from there. KSU around 8-8:15. Highway 50 is open from 0630-0830 during the week so if folks want to go thru there, it’s good to be headed east by about 7:30 or so.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Blondie's Drive in in Naturita is a good lunch spot, if they're still open.

Reactions: 1096dad
261 - 280 of 325 Posts