GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here watching the snow fall, temps not expected to rise above freezing for several days and my bike sitting in the garage for at least another month, my thoughts moved to planning this years edition of Rockies Gold. We've been having this event the 3rd weekend in September. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of "gold in them thar hills" by this time frame. So in the interest of trying to let the colors come in a little more, this years gathering will be pushed back a week; September 20 through September 24th, 2023. Hopefully this will bring in those incredible fall colors a little more without putting everyone at to much risk of seeing what I'm seeing fall outside my door this morning!

I've been in contact with the Black Canyon Motel. Their manager has offered a 1 Bed Non-Smoking Room (King or Queen Bed) for $99.00 plus tax - Max 2 adults per room. They have a limited number of these rooms available. Their 2 Beds Non-Smoking Room (Queens) will be $112.00 plus tax - Max 3 adults per room. These rates are no pets rates and they are not asking for a deposit of any kind which some other hotels are charging. They have blocked out at least 25 rooms for us at these rates. The two bed rooms are a little higher than last year, but not much. I looked at some other motels in Montrose and their rates were significantly higher. The Red Arrow across the street already has their rooms blocked out for other events! The phone number for the Black Canyon Motel is 970-249-3495. They will hold these rates until May 31st. Please wait until Wednesday January 25th before calling to make your reservations. Mention Rockies Gold to get these rates.

As always, we are planning on having a BBQ at our house Friday evening, September 22nd at 5:30PM. This will be the 9th year we have hosted this event here in Montrose. Jeanette and I are always humbled at the great turnouts, great people and great times had during RG and we are looking forward to seeing everyone once again in 2023.

Cloud Sky Water Mountain Plant

Attachments

· Registered
240 Posts
Curious as to why RG doesn't book the Holiday Inn anymore?
I've only been to one RG so far, but looking at hotel/motel prices in the area, it looks like Holiday Inn is 3 times the price of most establishments. My thought: why pay that much for a place to stay when most of the day you'll be riding. I'm sure most would share my sentiment.

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,337 Posts
Ya know, we've been before to RG and we liked it. We didn't really know anyone but most everyone was pretty friendly. What we did notice back then was their just wasn't all that many WIVES or girl friends. It was about 85-90% single guy riders. I see in the responses to this potential next RG that there seems to be potentially a fair amount of wives that are not only riding partners but also would be willing to go to an event like this. We have an RV so, if we go, we'd be staying at one of a few RV park/Campgrounds in the area. We have ridden many of those surrounding area roads and totally love then and dont mind riding them again. We'll discuss this. Thanks for the notice.
Scott

· Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey Ron, is Hwy 50 East of Montrose still in shambles due to construction?? Can't imagine that it is all finished yet.
They have made significant progress on this project. It's now paved all the way through the canyon but they have suspended construction until spring time. I would expect much of this will be complete or nearly done by the time late September rolls around. Keep your fingers crossed! (y) Their website says it's supposed to be done by July 2023.

· motorcycle cowboy
2013 GL1800
1,162 Posts
Room reserved....trying to recruit two more riders.

· Registered
240 Posts
Hey Ron, is Hwy 50 East of Montrose still in shambles due to construction?? Can't imagine that it is all finished yet.
Even if it isn't finished (which I'm sure it will be), you can always take 92 west of Sapinero towards Maher, Hotchkiss, and Delta. That's a beautiful ride, especially along the north side of the canyon...even when it's raining!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts