GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are going to the Rockies Gold Event, there is a really good train ride from Durango to Silverton if you want to take the SO for a day off from riding. The Parlor car at the back of the train serves food and drinks. It is a old style steam locomotive that winds up the canyon next to river and ends at Silverton where you can either take the bus back, or ride the train back after lunch. It is well known as the BEST and most SCENIC train trip in the entire United States.

If you are considering this, you will have to book tickets in ADVANCE as it fills up real quick. My wife and I did the trip and it was simply awesome, and was a nice day off from riding. I would HIGHLY recommend it. Pay the few extra bucks for a ticket in the Parlor car and get pampered. The Parlor car books up several months in advance though as the seating in it is very limited. You will need to make reservations 4-6 months in advance, so plan ahead.

Here is the link to the train site.

http://www.durangotrain.com/

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Having been on this train and NOT chosen the Parlor Car--good suggestion.

I would also suggest to buy the ticket for the train ride one-way and the bus back OR the round trip, have someone ride to the Silverton and trade places.

It is the same scenery going as coming.....a very long day.

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did the round trip and it was a rather long day, but we still enjoyed it. But if I were to do it again, I would go one way and take the bus back.

It really is a once in a lifetime experience. Well worth every penny and my wife really enjoyed have a day off from riding.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We did the train about 10 years ago.....it was awesome !
The open cars are fun too....( just a roof supported with poles ), the only downside are the cinders flying back & hitting you in the eyes.

3 1/2 hour ride up....3 coming back. It stops for water going up.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
While skiing at Purgatory a few years back, our group took the train ride one day to give our bodies a rest from the mountain. The train doesn't go all the way to Silverton in the winter due to the weather - makes a turn-a-around while folks on the train get off for a picnic on the box lunchs bought back in Durango. Kids in our group had a good time having snowball fights with the conductor while the train was turning around. Beautiful scenery in the winter - lots of snow and much of the river was frozen over - you could see the water current beneath the ice. We enjoyed going into the concession car for hot chocolate and doughnuts and taking video from the open observation cars.
Would like to repeat the trip in the summer but like others have said, only one way. Hope to go to Durango/Silverton/Ouray/ Telluride the first week of June in '07 before the heat gets too bad here in Texas.

Ed W.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Having done the all day thing once and bus to Silverton train back to Durango once, I also recommend one way from Silverton to Durango as the train is going down hill for the most part and the smoke is not bad at all.

Looking forward to doing the ride again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts