GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've added 5-minute video clips to three of the Rockies-Gold rides, just to give you a little perspective on some of the riding and scenery. Direct links to the videos included below. So far more than 105 bikes with a total of 167 folks have signed up to come to Montrose, Colorado, 25-29 July, for our hanging and riding good times. Info on Rockies-Gold can be found at:
http://rockies-gold.net

Click below to go directly to the videos:

Riding the Million Dollar Highway Silverton to Ouray

Riding the Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway

Riding in the Black Canyon National Park

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ooooo!

Thanks for these, Wingnutzz. Been so long that I'd kinda forgotten about the drama of that scenery. Even a few Alps-like switchbacks that I'd forgotten about.

I can see the real problem may be keeping my eye on the road rather than up at the peaks.

Unlike in the Alps, I don't suppose anything has changed in terms of car-drivers still not taking kindly to motorcycles overtaking them on solid lines, regardless of the safety of doing so, eh, Wingnutzz?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the nice videos to look at. Now both of our mouths are watering to get out into God's country and rides all these beautiful roads. We can hardly wait until July to get started!!!!!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Thanx a lot, I didn't have PMS till I watched THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I can't wait to get "out west", which, BTW for me is anything west of Toledo Oh. :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
You got me on these.. :lol: FANTASTIC :!: :!:

Just came in from cleaning up about 6 in. of snow out of the driveway and helped a couple neighbors with theirs..

Got a hot cup of coffee and decided to see what is happening on here. Come across these clips of yours and warmed up real fast. :wink: :wink: They are great. I wish we could make the trip out there this summer but it just won't work for us. You really know how to spoil a guys fun, blowing snow.. :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Ross

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dave,
THANKS for the tease...we got 6 more inches of the white stuff over night, but I can dream of riding in July tonight....CAN'T WAIT

RIDE SAFE

Kenny

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hey, Dave, thanks for sharing the vids. Those are 3 of my favorite rides... never get tired of them. It should give the folks who have never been here a good idea of what they have to look forward to. That said, those vids - as good as they are - don't begin to do justice to those rides.
We sure are lucky to live here, aren't we. Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RoadSurfer said:
Unlike in the Alps, I don't suppose anything has changed in terms of car-drivers still not taking kindly to motorcycles overtaking them on solid lines, regardless of the safety of doing so, eh, Wingnutzz?
We only pass on broken lines...but I did not say that the broken line had to be on my side of road!!!

Other than when I had my neck surgery I am in the longest period since 1999 without riding my bike (riding up my driveway and doing circles in the cul-de-sac last month does not count -- I can't even do that now). It has now been about 7 weeks. And, the snow keeps coming down. I was supposed to drive up to Morrison (foothills west of Denver) today for my High Country Cruisers monthly meeting -- cancelled until next Sunday. It has snowed about four inches at my place this morning and is still coming down at a pretty fast rate. This is five weekends in a row that it has either snowed or we've been cleaning up snow from the day before. It is pretty amazing. Supposed to warm up to the 40s this coming week -- I will be ready. Unfortunately, the road up to my house has so much snow in the shaded areas that it will be quite some time before I have the bikes off the hill.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey Wingnuttz,

Thanks for making a dreary day fun. I won't be able to be at your party but will be going west two times this year and look forward to it.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Folks daves videos are great but nothing like being there where you can look all around in diff directions. Dave thinks for the rides sure makes me want to be back out there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wingnutzz wrote:
We only pass on broken lines...but I did not say that the broken line had to be on my side of road!!!
Ah, if only I thought that were really true, Dave.

I'm afraid the tour I enjoyed in the Alps in '05 has spoiled me for mountain riding in North America in this regard. As has already been well reported on this board and many others, over there a rider can pass anything at will, regardles of the particular road contour. The only consideration is basic common sense -- being able to see far enough ahead that any reasonable person would know there is enough open road to allow you to overtake the vehicle in front of you and get back in your lane before any oncoming traffic poses a threat. Car drivers even go out of their way to ease up a bit or move over to make sure you have enough room to make the pass. I'd be so much a happier rider if only that attitide were to catch on over here.

I ain't holdin' my breath.

'Spect I'll be able to enjoy the Rockies well enough in spite of this unfortunate backward attitude, nonetheless.

'Countin' the days.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Thanks, Dave! We can't wait, to see the Scenery! And to Meet ALL!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Dave, just want to thank you for making these available to all of us. Been on most of them, and reliving it for the evening just made my day.

THANK YOU.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Dave,

I'm sitting here in front of my computer screen while a bleak cold snap is enveloping the Northeast and you come along and tease us with these 3 five plus minutes videos, like dangling a juicy cooked steak in front of a hungry dog. What's up with that? : :evil:

I wish that Rockies Gold was next week and I was preparing my Wing for the journey across the country. Why do we have to have these cold and dreary days? It'll make the arrival of Spring that much more enjoyable.

I see that you keep getting dumped by Mother Nature's fury. I hope that it'll keep up! WHAT? :shock: Well, if it'll keep up.........it wouldn't fall down! :wink:

I hope to see everyone soon.

Mike

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yeeeeeeees ! Sir !.......That's what I've been longing for ! Wife and I both watched and we're ready. Thanks Dave ..... :) Good stuff....... :yes1:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dave,
If you don't mind me asking...where and how do you have your camera mounted??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts