GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here in AZ, sales tax on a new vehicle is 8.1% in the city where I bought my bike, and vehicle registration is outrageous at nearly $500 for 1 year.

So lets say back in September I found a new 2018 bike in NC which was the right color and a Tour DCT model and they wanted $22k out the door. Then add in the tax $1782 and registration $500 and now I have the kinda OTD price of $24,282.00, but then I need to go get it or get the bike shipped to me

Could you not pay sales tax on the Wing in NC, where you bought it? Why would you pay AZ sales tax when you bought it in NC?

I know you have to pay the registration fee in AZ because that's where you live and where it is licensed.

I never pay sales tax in the State in which I buy a bike, unless of course it's my home State of SC. WE have a Maximum tax on vehicles of $350( at least when I bought in 2015 ). It might have gone up some since then, but it sure isn't 8.1%. Our yearly registration fee is close to what you pay though...on newer vehicles. The fee goes down each year based upon the age of the vehicle.

Your situation is another case in point( compared to mine) on why OTD Prices quoted are meaningless. I wish people would stop saying " I was OTD at $20,XXX+ ). It means absolutely NOTHING to ME, as far as what I would pay where I live. The only thing that matters is what is the price of the BIKE alone, not freight, not setup, not doc fees, not anything else that dealer might want to tag on.

But I will also say I don't ask for any incentive money the Manufacturer gives the Dealer for selling vehicles. That money is the dealers payment for pushing the manufacturer's product. That money isn't something I am entitled to get. ( I was a salesman during my career and I never gave away my sales bonus money as part of a sale. The customer wasn't due that. And it would cheapen the value my work if I did.) I liken that to folks buying real estate and asking the real estate agent to lessen their fee by a percentage or two. The good agents will tell you, in very professional terms, to GO POUND SAND!! LOL.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
To ME OTD is the Bike and any other FEES you pay. For example Freight, Setup, and Dealer Processing (or pure profit for them doing their job).

NOT these which are dictated by state and local laws.

Sales Tax
Titling Costs
Registration Costs

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you were at $18,400 and Rockingham was at $20,000 how were they not within $3500? Kinda lost me. Did they ship the bike for free or did you have to travel to buy it? Congrats on the new Wing.
If you look back through the post, you will see that was not my quote from Rockingham, although I did contact them. The member that posted that quote stated that it excluded tax, title, and tags, and included a trade, whereby the dealer plays funny money on both ends.

I paid just under $20k all in, meaning dealer fees, tax, title and tags. Straight deal, no trade. I sold my Victory outright so that I could work the best possible cash deal. The best actual OTD price I got from any other dealer was $23,500. BTW, I traded some leftover Victory parts for transporting the bike to Virginia, so that was a $0 win for me.

Rode 250 miles today. The bike us awesome.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Craig, quick follow up on your post. My Wing arrived properly set up, and without any cosmetic issues at all. Perfect condition. All in, I was just under $20k out the door. None of the dealers here in Virginia, NC, or MD (if they even bothered to respond to a pricing request) were within $3500 of my all in price. For me, that was the difference in buying now, or waiting to find a clean used one. I’m a happy camper.
The $3500 statement about any NC dealers is what lost me. You still saved $1000 not counting any transportation costs differences.

Buying from Sport Cycles would have been a total of just under $21000, no trade being involved with tags on your bike in Virginia after everyone got their part.

I enjoy traveling to buy a bike, as long as the weather cooperates. Buying local in Hampton Roads is miserable. MSRP, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yea. I always surprise myself with all the parts I will never use. I have 4 windshields for the Wing, a lot of wasted money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The $3500 statement about any NC dealers is what lost me. You still saved $1000 not counting any transportation costs differences.

Buying from Sport Cycles would have been a total of just under $21000, no trade being involved with tags on your bike in Virginia after everyone got their part.

I enjoy traveling to buy a bike, as long as the weather cooperates. Buying local in Hampton Roads is miserable. MSRP, take it or leave it.
I was really surprised that I could not get Virgina dealers to work with a serious buyer on a 2018 leftover. Several never bothered to respond to a web inquiry from their own site. The rest just weren't interested in competitive discounts. My local (Roanoke) dealer had a DCT, but no manual. They weren't willing to find one, so I moved on. At the end of the day, patience and perseverance worked out for me.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Great! Beautiful day for a ride today. I visit the Roanoke/Lynchburg/Abingdon area in the Fall most years. You live in a beautiful place so close to the best roads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GOV5 Said,
Could you not pay sales tax on the Wing in NC, where you bought it? Why would you pay AZ sales tax when you bought it in NC?

I know you have to pay the registration fee in AZ because that's where you live and where it is licensed.

I never pay sales tax in the State in which I buy a bike, unless of course it's my home State of SC. WE have a Maximum tax on vehicles of $350( at least when I bought in 2015 ). It might have gone up some since then, but it sure isn't 8.1%. Our yearly registration fee is close to what you pay though...on newer vehicles. The fee goes down each year based upon the age of the vehicle.

Your situation is another case in point( compared to mine) on why OTD Prices quoted are meaningless. I wish people would stop saying " I was OTD at $20,XXX+ ). It means absolutely NOTHING to ME, as far as what I would pay where I live. The only thing that matters is what is the price of the BIKE alone, not freight, not setup, not doc fees, not anything else that dealer might want to tag on.

But I will also say I don't ask for any incentive money the Manufacturer gives the Dealer for selling vehicles. That money is the dealers payment for pushing the manufacturer's product. That money isn't something I am entitled to get. ( I was a salesman during my career and I never gave away my sales bonus money as part of a sale. The customer wasn't due that. And it would cheapen the value my work if I did.) I liken that to folks buying real estate and asking the real estate agent to lessen their fee by a percentage or two. The good agents will tell you, in very professional terms, to GO POUND SAND!! LOL.

When you buy a new bike from out of state you don't get a title from that state. The selling dealer provides a Certificate of Origin, to the out of state buyer. The Buyer then takes the Certificate of Origin to their state's MVD, at which point MVD collects the state's sales tax as well as the city's sales tax. Anyway that's how it works here in AZ, and I have bought multiple new vehicles from dealers out of state. I've had a new vehicle shipped to me from an out of state dealer in OH and I've gone to the out of state dealer's location in MI where I bought the vehicle then drove it home. In both cases, I was provided Certificates of Origins from the out of state selling dealers and had to pay AZ sales tax on the purchase prices.

I suppose I could have gotten a mail box in the states where I bought the vehicles and claim to be a resident of that state, if that state had low or no sales tax on vehicles. But I prefer not to complicate my life any more than I have to, so I pay my state's sales tax.

·
Registered
834 Posts
GOV5 Said,

When you buy a new bike from out of state you don't get a title from that state. The selling dealer provides a Certificate of Origin, to the out of state buyer. The Buyer then takes the Certificate of Origin to their state's MVD, at which point MVD collects the state's sales tax as well as the city's sales tax. Anyway that's how it works here in AZ, and I have bought multiple new vehicles from dealers out of state. I've had a new vehicle shipped to me from an out of state dealer in OH and I've gone to the out of state dealer's location in MI where I bought the vehicle then drove it home. In both cases, I was provided Certificates of Origins from the out of state selling dealers and had to pay AZ sales tax on the purchase prices.

I suppose I could have gotten a mail box in the states where I bought the vehicles and claim to be a resident of that state, if that state had low or no sales tax on vehicles. But I prefer not to complicate my life any more than I have to, so I pay my state's sales tax.
I'm sorry, I thought if you bought out of state that you paid sales tax in the State in which the SALE occurred. I didn't think where you lived had anything to do with it. Now I do understand that Property taxes and Registration taxes have to be paid to get the bike licensed to ride in your home state. That was why I asked the question. Is this the equivalent of Internet buying where the seller has to collect sales tax for the state in which you live?

·
Registered
834 Posts
To ME OTD is the Bike and any other FEES you pay. For example Freight, Setup, and Dealer Processing (or pure profit for them doing their job).

NOT these which are dictated by state and local laws.

Sales Tax
Titling Costs
Registration Costs
I don't count "other fees" such as freight, setup, and dealer processing as part of the OTD, because each one of those fees is negotiable. Some dealers don't charge any of those fees. Even Harley dealers aren't charging setup much anymore.
An example of a "No Fees" dealer is Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga TN. They quote the price of the bike only. They don't ship the bike either. You have to come there, pay for the bike, and ride it or transport it home. They are a "Power Dealer" in the Honda System. Honda of Russellville in Russellville, AR works the same way, I think. Both are HUGE Honda Powersports Dealers.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes, its the same as using a trade. Those “fees” are what the bike actually costs and can be negotiated. You are paying what you are paying. Its just a term for money making. Dealers know what their bottom line is, some people feel better saying I paid no freight or setup and dealers know that. BUT you better believe you paid for it in the price you paid for the bike.

18500 + 1,000 freight and setup= 19500

19500 with no setup or freight =19500

Out the door is the same. Id actually rather pay lower bike cost and the fees to save on sales taxes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive bought a few bikes from Sport Cycles in Rockingham, including my 08 Wing and 18 Wing. Jeff was the person I always dealt with. There are no surprises and things go smoothly. I would not recommend picking a bike up on Saturday mornings as they sell a large volume of off road equipment for the woods and it may take a while to get processed.
Just bought an ‘18 Tour DCT from Bryan at Sport Cycles. There were no hidden fees and the Saturday morning pick up went flawlessly. They were very busy for sure but have their act together. A great company to deal with. Nice ride back to SC. What a great bike it is.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts