GL1800Riders Forums banner

Rockingham Dealer pricing

6K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Bikrgy 
#1 · (Edited)
Seeing some leftover 2018 Manual GW Tours for $19,500 plus tax and tag OTD(this price not at Rockingham....They are slightly higher).....Sounds like a reason to return to the Goldwing fold!

Craig

#3 · (Edited)
Ive bought a few bikes from Sport Cycles in Rockingham, including my 08 Wing and 18 Wing. Jeff was the person I always dealt with. There are no surprises and things go smoothly. I would not recommend picking a bike up on Saturday mornings as they sell a large volume of off road equipment for the woods and it may take a while to get processed.

Attachments

#5 ·
That's where I bought mine. After getting their "out-the-door" price, I called my local dealership in Garner. They told me Sport Cycle's price was cheaper than what they pay. I find that hard to believe. Tried to keep my money local, but rode my 16 F6B the two hours down to Rockingham and rode home my 18 Wing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Craigmri
#6 ·
VirginiaWing,

I have the deal done with Jeff@sportcycles in Rockingham. They offered what I feel is a fair trade price for my Concours. Goldwing price of $19,999 OTD of NC and I pay sales tax and registration in Florida. Not a bad deal. Its a 2018 Tour Manual in red.

Craig

#11 ·
Hey guys, I'm the OP and I thought I'd update this thread. I bought my new leftover 2018 Wing Tour Manual this weekend but didn't purchase from Rockingham.

Why not Rockingham? End of December I had a deal worked with them and was set to pick up second week of January. Beginning of January Honda increased the rebate an additional $1000 so I asked Rockingham to lower my price to include this rebate. They wouldn't so I cancelled the purchase.

St Charles Motorsports near St Louis offered me a Red or Blue 2018 Tour Manual for $17,999 plus $299 setup plus $450 freight. I gave them a deposit a week ago and this past weekend I went up to get it. In addition to the aforementioned pricing I also worked a trade with them on my 2017 Kawasaki Concours. They offered me a fair value for it so I trailered it from Florida to Missouri.

When I arrived at the dealer I was somewhat disappointed with the Metric portion of their facility. Fairly large place with an Indian building and Harley Building. All three are sort of attached but they keep them somewhat separate. The Harley and Indian showrooms were nice. The Metric store? looked like an unfinished space. We were told they had a fire recently that they are rebuilding from. Many of the bikes are dirty and several sales guys sitting around just talking.

My sales guy whom I've been communicating with takes me to see my Goldwing at the very back of the showroom and I was very disappointed with how many fingerprint like scuffs,,,,As if someone had dirty gloves on and pushed on several panels. Quick detailer wouldnt removed these scuffs. Being an avid Auto detailing enthusiast I was confident I could remove the scuffs. To make a long story short I asked for a discount for the paint issues. They agreed and I got an additional $750 combined in additional trade in value and setup fee waived. Trailered the Wing home and this afternoon I detailed the bike and buffed all the paint to perfection. Every paint deficiency came out as I hoped and the bike looks perfect.

All in all I got a great deal on the bike. I give St Charles motorsports the benefit of the doubt as they are recovering from a fire and at the end of the day did concede money for the issue and saved me from returning to Florida with my Kawasaki Concours and no Goldwing.

Would I buy from them again? Possibly but I would be leary if what Im buying is going to have scuffs and micro scratches from Improper/sloppy handling.

Craig

#18 ·
Would I buy from them again? Possibly but I would be leary if what Im buying is going to have scuffs and micro scratches from Improper/sloppy handling.
Craig, quick follow up on your post. My Wing arrived properly set up, and without any cosmetic issues at all. Perfect condition. All in, I was just under $20k out the door. None of the dealers here in Virginia, NC, or MD (if they even bothered to respond to a pricing request) were within $3500 of my all in price. For me, that was the difference in buying now, or waiting to find a clean used one. I’m a happy camper.

#14 ·
Interesting to read about your experience with Big St. Charles. I also picked up a red 18 Tour 6mt at the $17,999 price (actually $18,399 since I paid cash instead of the Honda Card finance option). I haven’t seen mine yet, as it is being delivered to me in the next 10 days or so. I will take a close look at the cosmetics. In general, my long distance transaction with them has been very easy.

#15 · (Edited)
Back in September I thought about going out of state to purchase a new 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. When you look at the out of state dealer's OTD price you have to add other expenses to find out what in the end you will be paying for the bike, such as traveling expenses, shipping expenses, sales tax and state registration. A lot of folks like to think they got a great deal because the dealer sold them the bike for $21,000 but then added all kinds of fees, which then jacks up the price to not so great a deal. I always make a deal for the OTD price then subtract sales tax and state registration to get the real price I'm paying for the vehicle. Once the OTD price is agreed upon, the dealer can write up the deal any way they want and add whatever fee they want but in the end it will end up being the same agreed OTD price. Another thing a learned many years ago when buying a new bike out of state is that in AZ at least, you will not only end up paying state sales tax but the city you live in will want their tax as well. Here in AZ, sales tax on a new vehicle is 8.1% in the city where I bought my bike, and vehicle registration is outrageous at nearly $500 for 1 year.

So lets say back in September I found a new 2018 bike in NC which was the right color and a Tour DCT model and they wanted $22k out the door. Then add in the tax $1782 and registration $500 and now I have the kinda OTD price of $24,282.00, but then I need to go get it or get the bike shipped to me. The last time I had a bike shipped to me from Ohio it cost $600 and took a couple of weeks for the bike to arrive, but that was back in 2008 so I'll guess prices are a bit more nowadays. Also I don't like the idea of having my new bike being handled by multiple individuals between the dealer and my front door. If something gets damaged along the way and the shipping company says, hey that's the way we got it, and the dealer says that's not the way we turned it over to the shipper, and I've never seen the bike before it was shipped, then how would I get my new bike fixed? Also I've noticed that these dealers that sell a lot of bikes to out of state buyers insist that the buyer needs to come to the dealership to do the deal.

I would much prefer to go to the dealership and take delivery of the vehicle there anyway, as I like to see what I'm buying before I buy it especially when that something cost $20K+. I could fly there and find transportation to the dealer, lets say $500, then drive the bike back to AZ, so fuel and hotels for 2-3 nights, so roughly $8-900 with food for the fly and drive retrieval. Or I could drive my truck and trailer to NC and trailer my new bike back home, 5-6 hotel nights plus about $600 for fuel round trip, so roughly $11-1200 with food for the drive and trailer retrieval. So now the real OTD price is between $25182-$25482 to have my new bike sitting in my garage at home. Still not a bad price but this price assumes that the bike I'm buying isn't dinged up when I finally get to see it after making a long journey, like many bikes are that sit on a dealer's showroom floors, and there isn't any problems along the road which there usually are in my experience. Now I have to take into consideration that the bike I'm buying out of state is a 2018 and not a 2019 and the 1 year depreciation on a new bike.

In the end I decided to buy a new 2019 Tour DCT from a dealership within 10 miles from me. Yes it did cost me a few dollars more than me traveling to NC, about $1000.00 but the bike is a 2019 which to me is worth the extra $1000, and most importantly, I got to see up close, without first travelling a couple of thousand miles, what I was actually buying before I made a deal for it.

#16 ·
Back in September I thought about going out of state to purchase a new 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. When you look at the out of state dealer's OTD price you have to add other expenses to find out what in the end you will be paying for the bike, such as traveling expenses, shipping expenses, sales tax and state registration. A lot of folks like to think they got a great deal because the dealer sold them the bike for $21,000 but then added all kinds of fees, which then jacks up the price to not so great a deal. I always make a deal for the OTD price then subtract sales tax and state registration to get the real price I'm paying for the vehicle. Once the OTD price is agreed upon, the dealer can write up the deal any way they want and add whatever fee they want but in the end it will end up being the same agreed OTD price. Another thing a learned many years ago when buying a new bike out of state is that in AZ at least, you will not only end up paying state sales tax but the city you live in will want their tax as well. Here in AZ, sales tax on a new vehicle is 8.1% in the city where I bought my bike, and vehicle registration is outrageous at nearly $500 for 1 year.

So lets say back in September I found a new 2018 bike in NC which was the right color and a Tour DCT model and they wanted $22k out the door. Then add in the tax $1782 and registration $500 and now I have the kinda OTD price of $24,282.00, but then I need to go get it. I could fly there and find transportation to the dealer, lets say $500, then drive the bike back to AZ, so fuel and hotels for 2-3 nights, so roughly $8-900 with food for the fly and drive retrieval. Or I could drive my truck and trailer to NC and trailer my new bike back home, 5-6 hotel nights plus about $600 for fuel round trip, so roughly $11-1200 with food for the drive and trailer retrieval. So now the real OTD price is between $25182-$25482 to have my new bike sitting in my garage at home. Still not a bad price but this price assumes that the bike I'm buying isn't dinged up when I finally get to see it after making a long journey, like many bikes are that sit on a dealer's showroom floors, and there isn't any problems along the road which there usually are in my experience. Now I have to take into consideration that the bike I'm buying out of state is a 2018 and not a 2019 and the 1 year depreciation on a new bike.

In the end I decided to buy a new 2019 Tour DCT from a dealership within 10 miles from me. Yes it did cost me just a few dollars more than me traveling to NC, about $1000.00 but the bike is a 2019 which to me is worth the extra $1000, and most importantly, I got to see up close what I was actually buying before I made a deal for it.
And lets not forget when you buy far from home, if there is a serious warranty issue the local dealer will not be so willing to take care of you if you didn't buy from them...I know any Honda dealer is supposed to take care of warranty issues, but it really doesn't work like that when there is a serious issue and the dealer has to eat some time..the dealer will tell you...why don't you take it back to who sold it to you...that's my experience with buying my last wing far from home.

#32 ·
To ME OTD is the Bike and any other FEES you pay. For example Freight, Setup, and Dealer Processing (or pure profit for them doing their job).

NOT these which are dictated by state and local laws.

Sales Tax
Titling Costs
Registration Costs
I don't count "other fees" such as freight, setup, and dealer processing as part of the OTD, because each one of those fees is negotiable. Some dealers don't charge any of those fees. Even Harley dealers aren't charging setup much anymore.
An example of a "No Fees" dealer is Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga TN. They quote the price of the bike only. They don't ship the bike either. You have to come there, pay for the bike, and ride it or transport it home. They are a "Power Dealer" in the Honda System. Honda of Russellville in Russellville, AR works the same way, I think. Both are HUGE Honda Powersports Dealers.

#30 · (Edited)
GOV5 Said,
Could you not pay sales tax on the Wing in NC, where you bought it? Why would you pay AZ sales tax when you bought it in NC?

I know you have to pay the registration fee in AZ because that's where you live and where it is licensed.

I never pay sales tax in the State in which I buy a bike, unless of course it's my home State of SC. WE have a Maximum tax on vehicles of $350( at least when I bought in 2015 ). It might have gone up some since then, but it sure isn't 8.1%. Our yearly registration fee is close to what you pay though...on newer vehicles. The fee goes down each year based upon the age of the vehicle.

Your situation is another case in point( compared to mine) on why OTD Prices quoted are meaningless. I wish people would stop saying " I was OTD at $20,XXX+ ). It means absolutely NOTHING to ME, as far as what I would pay where I live. The only thing that matters is what is the price of the BIKE alone, not freight, not setup, not doc fees, not anything else that dealer might want to tag on.

But I will also say I don't ask for any incentive money the Manufacturer gives the Dealer for selling vehicles. That money is the dealers payment for pushing the manufacturer's product. That money isn't something I am entitled to get. ( I was a salesman during my career and I never gave away my sales bonus money as part of a sale. The customer wasn't due that. And it would cheapen the value my work if I did.) I liken that to folks buying real estate and asking the real estate agent to lessen their fee by a percentage or two. The good agents will tell you, in very professional terms, to GO POUND SAND!! LOL.

When you buy a new bike from out of state you don't get a title from that state. The selling dealer provides a Certificate of Origin, to the out of state buyer. The Buyer then takes the Certificate of Origin to their state's MVD, at which point MVD collects the state's sales tax as well as the city's sales tax. Anyway that's how it works here in AZ, and I have bought multiple new vehicles from dealers out of state. I've had a new vehicle shipped to me from an out of state dealer in OH and I've gone to the out of state dealer's location in MI where I bought the vehicle then drove it home. In both cases, I was provided Certificates of Origins from the out of state selling dealers and had to pay AZ sales tax on the purchase prices.

I suppose I could have gotten a mail box in the states where I bought the vehicles and claim to be a resident of that state, if that state had low or no sales tax on vehicles. But I prefer not to complicate my life any more than I have to, so I pay my state's sales tax.

#31 ·
I'm sorry, I thought if you bought out of state that you paid sales tax in the State in which the SALE occurred. I didn't think where you lived had anything to do with it. Now I do understand that Property taxes and Registration taxes have to be paid to get the bike licensed to ride in your home state. That was why I asked the question. Is this the equivalent of Internet buying where the seller has to collect sales tax for the state in which you live?

#33 · (Edited)
Yes, its the same as using a trade. Those “fees” are what the bike actually costs and can be negotiated. You are paying what you are paying. Its just a term for money making. Dealers know what their bottom line is, some people feel better saying I paid no freight or setup and dealers know that. BUT you better believe you paid for it in the price you paid for the bike.

18500 + 1,000 freight and setup= 19500

19500 with no setup or freight =19500

Out the door is the same. Id actually rather pay lower bike cost and the fees to save on sales taxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.