GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old thread here, http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/207679-brake-fluid-change-procedure.html, one of many like it, but I can't find the next level of detail.

Copied from another thread asking the same question:

BrakeBleeding Sequence
Front Brake Reservoir
1: Front Right Brake Upper Bleeder Valve
2: Front Left Brake Middle/lower Bleeder Valve

Rear Reservoir (under right side chrome)
1: Front Left Brake Upper Bleeder Valve
2: Front Right Brake Lower Bleeder Valve
3: Rear Brake Lower Bleeder Valve
4: Anti-Dive: bleeder valve on top
5: Rear Brake Upper Bleeder Valve

Do these two additional Steps to be sure you have no residual air bubble in the rear system!!
6: Pressure bleeding the lower Junction block. (Upper left side of frame sitting on bike).Follow rubber hose from Secondary master cyl to the Junction block.
7) Pressure Bleed the top Banjo bolt on the Secondary Master Cyl. (To be sure the air bubble is completely out)

Must be done in this order and do not let the resevior go dry and suck air.
This "pressure bleed" of the hose fitting / banjo bolt / NOT BLEEDER VALVE -- can someone describe to me what you're actually doing here?

I have a vague idea of loosening it, squeezing the lever, watching brake fluid ooze out, tightening it, and trying not to have the juice go everywhere and kill paint or seals. It's not a proper bleed valve. What is the method and end state?

Is there any more art or science to it? Very clear WHERE steps 6 & 7 are, just not WHAT they are.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Bird, when you do those last two steps, use a flare nut wrench on the junction (it has to be short, I cut mine short) and wrap it with a damp shop towel to protect the paint and plastic. As your helper works the peddle, crack the fitting just enough to allow the peddle to fall to bottom, snug the nut, raise the peddle slowly and repeat 4 or 5 times to burp the air. I have never had to do the last step, but if your peddle is still soft, then use same procedure.

prs

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
R.... Bleed
Make sure you followed all of these instructions:
BRAKE BLEEDING SEQUENCE

1: Front Right Brake Upper Bleeder Valve
2: Front Left Brake Middle/lower Bleeder Valve

Rear Reservoir (under right side chrome engine cover)
1: Front Left Brake Upper Bleeder Valve
2: Front Right Brake Lower Bleeder Valve
3: Rear Brake Lower Bleeder Valve
4: Anti-Dive: bleeder valve on top
5: Rear Brake Upper Bleeder Valve
Do these two additional Steps to be sure you have no residual air bubble in the rear system!!
6: Pressure bleeding the lower Junction block. (Upper left side of frame sitting on bike).Follow rubber hose from Secondary master cyl to the Junction block.
7) Pressure Bleed the top Banjo bolt on the Secondary Master Cyl. (To be sure the air bubble is completely out)

There is a science to it, bubbles in the system rise to the highest points. If they aren't swept clean through with a long smooth flush they collect at these points very often. Over had the added steps work well for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts