GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good route to Montrose ?
I have 3 or 4 days to get there and want to keep the miles down to 4 or 5 hundred a day. :D

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Hey, should be some good riding down to our gathering, that's for sure. I'll leave that routing to everyone else -- I've posted the rides for Rockies-Gold on the web, however.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jim,
If it were me, I'd take the first two days to get to Moab, UT...then tour Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Pont State Park, and Arches NP on the third, then on up to Montrose on the fourth. If I had two additional days, I'd run down to SW Utah and come up thru Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, then on up to Moab and the parks I named above before getting to Montrose..... see you there... Bill

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Here's another option - this route averages about 400 miles/day and includes a nice little trip over Lolo Pass on the second day and very little interstate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Think about this: Seattle to Lewiston, ID 317 miles; Lewiston to Salmon, ID to Idaho Falls 499 miles (Highways 12 and 93); Idaho Falls to Vernal, UT 363 miles ( Highways 26 and 191); Vernal to Granby, CO 242 miles (Highway 40).

Four days and hardly any freeways.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Jon said:
Here's another option - this route averages about 400 miles/day and includes a nice little trip over Lolo Pass on the second day and very little interstate.

That is a very good route. We rode quite a few of those roads a few years back on our way out to OR/WA. Also includes Flaming Gorge area, which is very nice ride and scenery. Also, just SE of Pocatello is Bear Lake -- a beautiful spot that is also on the way.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jon
are you going? 8) 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm going or not yet, Mike.

Rich, I didn't save the file but it should be easy to re-create. All I did was define the start & end points and then set the Interstate slider one notch towards avoid and the smaller highways slider one notch towards prefer.

I'll try to find some time to do that within the next day or two...

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jon
Most every one calls me Jim but you can call me Mike 8)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm not suggesting there ia any better way to go, but keep in mind that it can get nasty hot in Utah in July! I'm trying to figure out how to get there from So Cal without frying. Riding at night is an option, but you miss whatever scenery there is, and road hazards are hard to see, even with the Wing's great headlights. So, I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:beer3: Jon did you find out if you are going to make it? :biker:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I lived in Pullman Washington last year and I can say that Lo-Lo is a great ride. If you are coming I suggest hitting it on the way here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Colorado Trip From Seattle

As a likely parcipatant on this run and noticing that the planned route takes us thru LoLo pass I would like to make a suggestion.

The group that I usally ride with makes the LoLo pass run at least once a year (Hopefully LOL) and every time we have made this trip our first nights stay was in Orifino to stay away from the big city. One time we went a little further to a lodge along the river but I would have to check for the name. I think it was Kollskia or simular. The lodge had a great resturant and the cabin area was decorated with Lewis and Clark carvings etc.

Anyway its just a suggestion for the group.

Later All

Stevea

99 BMW Klt 1200

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If we do Jon's route what kind of temps can we exspect to find and where is the hottest area? 8)
where will I want a motel with AC and where will camping be ok maybe?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tempatures etc

Everytime we have made the LoLo trip the hottest part has been getting thru SE Washington and vicinity. As you get closer to "Orifino" it usually gets pretty comfortable because your in the mountains.

I stopped carrying a tent because we always stay in the motel and they all have "Air". We just are not as tough as we use to be LOL.

Later

Steve A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts