GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a 1500 GW about a 100 miles and got hooked. Brought a new one home yesterday.

I had a HD Ultra Classic and now a Goldwing. I think I made the right choice this time although I won't do any brand bashing.

I do have a question tho......I have 3 helmet headsets for the HD which uses 7 pin. Is it possible to find an adapter to convert the 7 pin headset to work on the GW 5 pin?

Nice forum you guys have here.

Ken

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Welcome & Enjoy the new scoot! :)

I'd check with J&M about the compatability. They might have lower cords you could just change.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If they are HD brand headsets, i do not know. If they are the J&M with the lower cord. You can just change the lower cord.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red said:
Welcome & Enjoy the new scoot! :)

I'd check with J&M about the compatability. They might have lower cords you could just change.
Thanks I'll check them out.

Ken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dive Master said:
If they are HD brand headsets, i do not know. If they are the J&M with the lower cord. You can just change the lower cord.
They are HD headsets.

Gonna hate buying more headsets. :)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I too had a HD and went back to the Wind, as for the headsets....

Nope, HD headsets are one peice cords and J&M doesn't make one for the HD setup to fit a Wing....list them on Ebay and take the money and buy a new set from Ed Sets or J&M...

The J&M does make a headset that uses and upper cored and a lower cord. This should be the last headset you'll have to buy, If you ever change bikes, you can just buy a lower cord and they'll work.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing. As to the headsets, as I recall, the two 'extra' pins on the HD plug are separate grounds for the Mic and one of the audio sources. I would think that buying three of the male 5-pin DIN's and three of the female 7-pin DIN's along with a short length of 7-wire shielded cable would be all that you'd need to make your own with a little bit of soldering.

I made my own 5-pin DIN to 2.5mm stereo connector for ear buds for something under five or six bucks for the two plugs. The place where I bought them just cut off something under a foot of coiled headphone cord for me and gave it to me.

The bottom line is that instead of spending $29 plus shipping I got the same thing for probably less out of pocket than what the shipping would have cost me. I never begrudge anyone a profit, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend an extra thirty bucks to get something I could make for under six bucks in parts.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!

You are going to love it, as if you didn't already know!

The SO is going to love you for doing it! (Trust me. :lol: )

My wife is Swedish and I am Danish (both born in USA). Ah well, I digress.

My wife says that, "Grandkids are our reward for not killing our children." :lol:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.

Yeah, wireless headsets would sure be nice!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Wireless would be WONDERFUL!

It would make refueling much easier.

I could see having a connection to recharge the batteries in the helmet while motoring down the road. Of course, running on AA batteries is not bad either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts