GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
We are planning to make one last trip up for the event. Been a few years but it should be quite a site being the last year.
Dan

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
How did you find that out and is there a reason, please explain
Did you click on the link in the very first post (it’s in read letters) so you could read the article that pretty much explains everything ?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I've never ridden Rolling Thunder, but I remember first hearing about it in the '90's and a lot of my fellow Vietnam Veterans were involved in this non-partisan movement to support the cause of accounting for POW/MIA's.

I planned to make the trip; but unfortunately, within a few years, the leadership of Rolling Thunder got very political.

By the early 2000's, they were actively endorsing political candidates for president.

Too bad. It was a lost opportunity to be about something greater than politics.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ahhhhh - - - what am I missing here... 60K to rent the parking lot!!! ??? Is that not a facility paid for by tax payers and they are charged to use it???

Typical government horse hockey!!!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
I've never ridden Rolling Thunder, but I remember first hearing about it in the '90's and a lot of my fellow Vietnam Veterans were involved in this non-partisan movement to support the cause of accounting for POW/MIA's.

I planned to make the trip; but unfortunately, within a few years, the leadership of Rolling Thunder got very political.

By the early 2000's, they were actively endorsing political candidates for president.

Too bad. It was a lost opportunity to be about something greater than politics.
You didn't miss anything special...I rode to it about 5 times...just lots of traffic and very slow moving in DC with the hot sun blazing down on you...then you had lots of motorcycles blasting around on the city streets going way too fast for the conditions. I was always worried about getting hit. Parking was ok if you knew where to go and if not the parking was very tight on the streets... then it was long walks and very crowded...everything was expensive there....the roads to get there are very boring....flat, straight and crowded with lots of slow traffic....not really all that great of a time for a motorcycle ride IMO.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Interesting.....I always thought Rolling Thunder and Ride For The Wall were the same....After reading the article it appears they are different.
The only association has been that they are in DC over the same weekend. RFTW is a 10-day ride across the country, using three separate routes, all arriving in DC the Friday before Memorial Day.

Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ahhhhh - - - what am I missing here... 60K to rent the parking lot!!! ??? Is that not a facility paid for by tax payers and they are charged to use it???

Typical government horse hockey!!!
No. You can't have it both ways.

There are massive set up, clean up, and additional policing costs associated with the operation.

Why leap to assuming the Feds and DC govt are being greedy (prior post) or this is an entitlement? I say no free rides for the Rolling Thunder organization. They are welcome to bear the costs and given the scale of the event, I'm a little surprised they're not higher. No free rides on the tax payers' back.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
There is no problem with Run For The Wall we are a completely different organization. While many of our riders and Leadership do ride Rolling Thunder most do not.
Spence (RIDE) Chapin
Road Guard Midway Route

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Sounds like the Feds are hard to deal with, and greedy.
Exactly. My question is, why do they have to pay the pentagon to use their parking lots? $60K????? WTF??? It would be nice if the $60K would go to the cause and not to the pentagon. They blow through 20x that in a few hours.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Come on, guys.

Do you really believe that any group or association can simply say, "our group is coming to your city and we want to take-over several city owned parking lots exclusively for our members".

"By the way, all the tax payers who live in DC and who use those parking lots will just have to park elsewhere."

"Also, we want to use those parking lots for free."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts