GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know oil tends to be a personal choice kinda thing, but when Rotella pops up 90% of the time, it can't be that bad. What are your thoughts on T4? I don't believe I've ever heard a bad review on it, and based on the price it would be hard to beat. Thinking on giving it a try since I change oil about every 5,000 miles anyway. O'Reilly's has it on sale for $16, add a Wix filter, and I should be set.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My thoughts are that if you want to save a few bucks, you may be better off changing at the recommended 8,000 mile interval. I'd avoid the T-4 because of the 15W-40 weight, and like the new formulation of T6 it no longers has an S rating, only C. But you could probably get a few hundred thousand miles out of the wing with it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did the deed and I must say I'm pleased so far. Engine runs smooth and quiet, and shifts smoother than it ever has. I like it!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Eorwll

I'm still happily running T6 with ZDDP+ and have no complaints at all. Then again since my bike has < 100K miles on it, I could have probably used Mazola corn oil and it would still be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the weather hasn't cooperated very much, I've only put about 500 miles on this oil change. The T4 has exceeded my expectations so far. The engine starts easily, and runs smooth and quiet. The transmission side of it shifts very smoothly. I may try the T6 next time around, just for comparison. So far, I've tried Lucas, Mobil1, and Rotella T4. Of those three, the T4 is the least expensive and has performed as well as or better than the others. I've got 7500 miles yet to go on this change, so we'll see how it does for the duration.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
702 Posts
--

I don't know the percentage of those using one blend or the other, but it's the Rotella T6, which is a synthetic that many do use. I use it and have for some time. It can usually be purchased for about $22. at WalMart for one gallon, but every year Shell has an online discount coupon for $5./gallon off. Then the cost is pretty low. I use the coupon all the time for usually 4 gallons and get back $20. T4 is not synthetic.

--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts