GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to start another oil post, but is anyone using the Rotella T5 10W30 Synthetic Blend in their Gold Wing? I just put some in my 2012 and the bike seems to like it, and shifts very nice! So just wondering what the pro's and con's of this oil are??? If anyone else is using this oil that is. I would really like some input, good or bad about this oil before I put anymore miles on it, I just changed it and rode it up the road a few files. Heading to the Smokey Mountains Labor Day week end and need the info! Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As long as it's not energy conserving, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't say anything about energy conserving on the little circle on back on the jug!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've been using it in my '10 wing. For 9,000 miles of the 10,000 on the clock. No problems yet... The manual calls for API SG or higher. T5 is rated SM and is not energy conserving so it should be good to go.

Mark

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
After running Amsoil Severe Gear in the transmission of my car for a short while to improve shifting and the shifting progressively got worse, I flushed and drained it for a quality gear lube. That was $75 down the tubes.

After that experience, I wouldn't use Amsoil to lube the axle of my wheel barrow.

My Goldwing and cars get Rotella T6. As for that gear lube...Subaru Extra-S and yes it shifts as smooth as warm butter running down... Well, you get the picture.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks YellerWing! That's good to know!:thumbup: I might switch over to the T6 after I get some more miles on my 2012!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats all i use wally world 20.00 bucks a gallon sometimes 17.00. Great stuff. :agree::bow:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I use Rotella Triple Protection 15w40. I am not recommending anyone use it, its just what i use.
First 15W40 -is good for a wide temperature range(well past 100 degrees F)
Second- this oil is JASCO MA certified.This means it has the additive package to resist shear.This is specific to a motorcycle having an engine and transmission in one case (engine and trans share the oil ) plus having a wet clutch bathed in the same oil.
If you look on a Honda GN4 or HP4 oil bottles you will see that Honda certifies that these oils meet this standard (JASCO MA). This is important.
Third- this is a fleet oil so it is regularly tested by independant labs.This insures high quality.
Fourth-it is readily available and is very cost effective.
There are more reasons I use it, but these are the main ones.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I've used the T5 10W30 for 24,000 miles or so and it's worked great. I won't do the 5W stuff. In all the world 10w40 synthetic is offered, but not in the USA. I'd buy 10W40, but not the 5W40 we get here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Changed oil for the 3rd time. It was my 1st time changing it myself. Rotella T 15w40 from WW. $13. ST6607 filter for $3. Complete oil change for $17.00. :excited: :agree:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changed oil for the 3rd time. It was my 1st time changing it myself. Rotella T 15w40 from WW. $13. ST6607 filter for $3. Complete oil change for $17.00. :excited: :agree:
I like to change my own oil and filter!!! Is the Rotella T 15W40 synthetic?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts