GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I ordered the Kury rotor cover for my 2006 1800 w/bag. I tried to install it once and the upper bolt hole dd not line up. It's worse on the right than on the left. I put everything back together and called Kury the next day. They say that yeah, it fits ALL of the 1800's. So I tried again this past Sunday - same exact thing.

Does anyone else out there have an 06 with airbag that has installed this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The last word I heard around the shop was, NO rotor covers, No fender extensions, and special to the air bag foglights (short switch). The sensors for the airbag are located on the lower front forks.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 6,300 miles

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I thought

Ed,

Thanks for the response. That's the conclusion that I came to but the support guy at Kuryakyn claims that he has an 06 with Bag in front of him and it has the same rotor cover that I have.

Hard to get him to see my point unless maybe I send him some pics. :roll:

·
Registered
354 Posts
To All!

Kuryakyn rotor covers do NOT fit the air bag models as is! Due to the new sensor locations, the fork designs are a bit different.

To compensate for this, when I found this out I cut off the top "ear" of rotor cover off with hack saw and ground it smooth with dremel tool. The rotor cover fits nicely now but is being held in place with only 3 of the screws and not the top one. Seems to work fine and is plenty sturdy enough.

Kuryakyn does need to make a version for the air bag models.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My Post was not about whether they fit or not. It was about should they or anything else for that matter be installed in the area of the sensors. This is a question that needs an answer.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 6,300 miles

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm sorry Ed, here's my input for what it is worth.

Your question "should anything be put there due to the sensors"

Well... I have NOT been told that by any Honda rep or otherwise. That does NOT make it OK to do so though due to ignorance on my behalf.

My thoughts are this... in order for those sensors to deploy the airbag, it will take a pretty good bump to the front end to activate them. Will the likes of a rotor cover inhibit their activation? IMHO I feel that the rotor covers (in my case are Kuryakyn plastic) would NOT interfear with them due to them breaking easily. Although I do not have a FFE on the bike, I do not see how or why they would interfear either!

Granted it's my bike and I can do with it as I please and I will, but if someone here can tell me specifically why they should not be added to the bike, I am all ears and will take in to consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts