GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the Honda Steel Chrome Rotors with a ring of fire attached?

I'm going to install some type of chrome covers with a ring of fire and was thinking ( yeah I know) that the steel covers would look better and may last a little longer.

Have hear about some of the plastic covers chrome blistering or peeling.
Thought the steel ones might be a better way to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
rotor covers

I have the plastic ones on my ' 05 and had the same on my ' 93 with over 100,000 miles on them and they still looked good.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Re: rotor covers

Tom Henman said:
I have the plastic ones on my ' 05 and had the same on my ' 93 with over 100,000 miles on them and they still looked good.
My (former) 1996 GL1500 had the plastic (Kuryakyn....wasn't he the guy on "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.?) covers and amber ROF with no problems; my 2004 GL has the same setup and no problems as well.

Save some money for other stuff - buy the plastic ones.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other reason I was thinking of the Honda covers is that they are smaller and I was going with a chrome front wheel and more of the chrome wheel would show with the Honda covers, but I don't know if the price difference is worth it.....

I'll probably go with the Kurys..... :?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'm having my Kuryakyn chrome rotor covers replaced with Hondaline's right now.

Chrome (Plastic) on the Kury was getting pitted and wearing off on the edges after 1.5 years and 25,000 miles. Several scratches have showed up over time on the covers also, (soft material?).

Installing a new replacement Blue/Green ROF while I'm at it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
KYBLUE....sent you a PM

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had the Kury covers and ROF on my late '03a. Had the ROF replaced under warranty twice for lights out, and repaired it once myself when the light strip kept falling out due to broken retainers. The Covers disintegrated..the middle of the left cover simply broke out of the cover. Kury's response was "Take it back to the selling dealer 350 miles away and see if they (HDL) will support you". The local dealers told me to pack sand. Also, the chrome on several of the Kury products (throttle boss, Ergo pegs, Disk covers, and others) flaked off. Very poor quality, and very little support from Kuryakyn. Buy the Honda covers..you will be happy with them.

Ride long and safe..and I think long and hard when I am buying farkles for my bike, especially when it comes to Kuryakyn and Big Bike. Support means everything.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,793 Posts
I have the Kury rotor covers and the Kury Ring of Fire. I went with the Kury rotor covers because they are smaller in dia than are some of the other makes... they are the same size as the Honda rotor covers. I have chrome wheels and want to be able to see as much of the front wheel as I can. I have noticed that if you don't clean the rotor cover alot, a road film will build up on the outer surface of the rotor cover and is sorta of hard to remove if left on too long. I have also noticed the same road film on the chrome fairing vents. I use chrome polish to remove that road film the first time and have since cleaned the rotor covers often, paying attention to the outer edge of the Ring Of Fire strip using Honda spray wax/cleaner. With regular cleaning/polishing of the rotor covers, they still look new like after two years of use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts