GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Has anyone found a cure for the rotten eggs smell? I've tryed diffent types of fuel with no help. Seems worse after high speed riding!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dale,

Long time no see. Hope that all is well. What has worked for me, is to not overfill the fuel tank. It will take a couple of tank run outs to clear the overfill tube and hence the catalytic converter.

It does work. Hope it works for you.

Bulldog

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
I've never found any pattern to it except it's worse after I have been running hard and come to a stop.

My '01 was real bad. It would actually gag you if the wind was blowing the wrong way. I lived with it because it was getting over 40 mpg most of the time! It's my '02 that I can't figure the pattern out on! I don't think there is one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Bulldog, I will try that one. I always fill the tank to the rim. "Been gone for a while. Been busy. changed jobs adn moved. I couldnt take it anymore "not riding" and rode in 45 degree weather today. We moved and my computer was down. Thanks again. Having trouble figuring out the new board:)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
When cars first went with cat/conv that was a pretty common problem. After running at fwy speeds and then going to a decel mode the rapid closing of the throttle causes it to go to a full rich condition. The excess fuel in the converter not only causes the converter to heat up, but also cause that sulfur smell i.e. rotten egg smell.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I've reported on this before but you were probably off line then.
Our '01 has been a problem from day one with the EVAP Canister filling up, off gassing in the Garage & creating the "Rotten Egg" smells. It primarly happens when we have been on a long trip under load either fighting the winds on the Eastern Plains of CO/KS or in the CO mountains.
After hitting the Brick Wall Of Denial with Honda over & over on this issue, their comments have been that I am overfilling the tank which is NEVER etc. etc.

To find out what was happening I followed the Service Manual that the Dealer & Honda Refused to do and checked the EVAP Purge Functions. AOK on all. That left me wondering about how the Purge Valve was operating on the road so I installed an LED to monitor it's function. What I found was that the Purge Valve is only open above 23MPH and below 1/4 throttle.

That means that in town at lower speeds the Purge Valve is seldom open and on the HighWay at high speeds against the wind or up hill it is closed most of the time while over 1/4 throttle.

If I watch the LED and keep in on for a long period of time, say an hour or more, after a long hard pull in the Interstate the EVAP will purrge enough to keep it from causing the Stink in town and get enough of the fuel out of it to prevent it from filling up the Garage with Gas Fumes.

When doing the Mountains to the West of town I have the problem of Pulling Steep Grades requiring more than 1/4 throttle followed by long down hills coasting that both keep the Purge Valve closed. So I've gotten in the habit of keeping the throttle open just enough on the down hills to keep the Purge Valve open thus minimising the saturation of the EVAP Caniaster.

BTW Honda doesn't have a clue as to how & when the Purge Valve operates other than the limited tests in the Service Manual so don't wast your time calling Customer (Dis)Service.

Jerry

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
STAY UP WIND
Mick
:D :D :D
:yw1:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buggs, Is there any performance gains from the torque loops? Can you really feel it? I'd like a little more grunt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
no noticeable performance gain or loss
gas mileage the same
a little bit deeper sound
not smelly any more
got about 2000 miles on tourq loops

1 - 10 of 10 Posts