GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been OUT OF THE LOOP for 4 years. Just bought another wing and it has a Bridgestone Run Flat, haven't looked at which one and maybe Glockjock can chime in but it is a SQUARE EDGE tire none the less. I need to order a new tire and would PREFER a RUN FLAT with ROUNDED Edges on it. My last CT was the Kumho and it was awesome and I need something like it in RUN FLAT? Any help here?
Thanks
EarnhardtSportsman

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
The latest getting raves are the Pirelli Snow Control and the Pirelli P1.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If the current tire is a Bridgestone Drive Guard RF, try it, and you will probably like it. My first ct was a Dunlop Winter Sport, and it required lots of work (pushing and pulling) in the twisties, but lasted over 22,000 miles. I did not know it sucked, because I had nothing to compare it to. I next tried a Pirelli Snow Control and loved it, with its rounded edges, it laid over like a mt in the twisties, but only lasted 10,000 miles. I currently run a Bridgestone DG, with around 13,000 miles, and looks like it will easily last 20,000.

With the Bridgestone DG, I was initially leery because it had a profile and squared edges just like the Dunlop WS. But on the road, the difference is like night and day. It handles nearly as good as the Pirelli in the twisties, and is smooth as silk on the road. That's why I suggest you try yours first, before condemning it. I cannot explain why the squared edges work so well on the DG, yet sucked on the Dunlop, but my next tire will probably be another DG.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
My 03 had a CT on it when we bought it, but well worn and the corners squared like yours. When we replaced it I tried a NRF first, rode well, but quirky in tight corners. Since we were going on a long trip, I felt I needed to replace it with a RF and wanted the same thing as you, something that would turn like a MT but provide the safety and control of a RF. We went with the Pirelli P1 RF. Nice rounded shoulders, comfortable ride, and combined with the 709 I put on the front, makes the bike handle like she's on rails. I can't speak too much of mileage as I've only got about 4,000 miles on it, but it still looks like new. I can see this lasting a good long time.

Here's the original tire next to the Hankook Optimo. I'll add one of the P1.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you can find a Dunlop winter sport RF in 175 size rather than 195 i think you would like it better. I’ve had both and the 175 is much better handling.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I have the DriveGuard on now and was impressed with it from the git go. My car tire experience, Dunlop WinterSport, Pirelli Eufori, and another, can't think of it now, the one that didn't like being jerked around, (Michelin Primacy), and now DriveGuard. I have the SnowControl mounted and waiting. So far, the DriveGuard has been most motorcycle like.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I'll vote for the P1. It is the fifth CT brand for me so far and I have found the one I will use till they don't make them any more.:thumbup:

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the Cinturato Tire?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
If you're asking about the P1, yes that's the Cinturato. I've mentioned this several times, but I'll say it again for you, if you go with the P1, it is an "Inside"/"Outside" tire. Mount it with the Outside toward the kickstand side. To many theories on why to explain here, but suffice it to say it works really well set up like that.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Sir

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 last question. Looking at this tire there is a V and a W rated tire. Which do you recommend or what you have?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Either will work fine. If you plan on riding in the 145 mph range, get the one rated for higher speed, but if you plan on riding at normal speeds, either will do. Just as a reference, the tire I pictured only had about 3000 miles on it when I took the pic. I believe I bought the V rated.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Back in the day I used the 175, for some reason there was little interest, do not remember what it was, worked really good for me. Regular 195s always seemed like a wrestling match, but it worked.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Back in the day I used the 175, for some reason there was little interest, do not remember what it was, worked really good for me. Regular 195s always seemed like a wrestling match, but it worked.
I agree. My first CT was a 195. A friend showed me his 175, tried it and was SOLD!

Trialsman suggested I try a G-701 on the front and have used that combo ever since! :grin2:

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's the opinion on 195/55 vs 175/60 while pulling a trailer? They both have about 24.5 (24.44 vs 24.27) diameters but the 195 has 10% more surface area on the tread. I see that as a 10% increase in braking surface.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Guess that could be an advantage, in an emergency stop, or pulling trailer, guess that require a test of some sort. I just found the 175 a much better handling tire, but then I did not pull a trailer. I have no idea how much 10% less surface area would be than the 195, very little I would guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts