GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to take route 66 from Cal. to Chicago this summer. Any ideas where I can get maps and info. Anyone done this? Is it worth the ride?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just do a Google search on "Route 66 Info" and you will find enough info on things see to keep you busy for a while.
:yw1:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
last year i just did a bunch of google searches to find unlimited web sites and maps

a trip to a barnes and noble would turn a couple route 66 guide books also

or amazon.com if you dont have a barnes and noble

loren

·
Registered
285 Posts
Then there's the Mother Road Rally that does Rte. 66 between June 12 and 19 this year. Go to http://www.hhjm.com/rally/

- Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two years ago, my husband and I rode our 12 year old daughter to Chicago and then took Old Route 66 home using this map set

http://www.route66guidebooks.com/maps.htm#HereItIsMaps

Old Route 66, as it exists today, is not well marked on AAA maps so we went with this package. The maps themselves weren't great (use AAA for back up), but the written directions that allowed us to stay track were absolutely spot on. We wanted to ride every inch of the Old Route and very much enjoyed all the touristy info provided in this map set. $12 very well spent if you are interested in the history and the interesting stops along the way.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
granpa in Cincy said:
[quote="Lisa Landry":3ejg9zoi]Two years ago, my husband and I rode our 12 year old daughter to Chicago and then took Old Route 66 home
Did your daughter get tired? hee hee :roll: :roll:[/quote:3ejg9zoi]

well at least there is someone else who has a warped sense of humor like mine, wonder if that ride was Ironbut certified?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Route 66

I did the trip last April, Nice trip but a bit earyl temperatur vice

Have a look at

http://www.route66.no

You will find what you need here.

Have a nice trip

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm hoping to do Route 66 next summer in my Corvette. Just like the series back in 1962. Wasn't the Corvette the chosen mode of transportation? :D Yepper!!!!! :p This year it's Bar Harbor, again, and maybe Nova Scotia, on the Wing. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but if you are an HRCA member, all you have to do is call them. Ask them for a Route 66 trip kit, and it will include everything that you are looking for. The best part is, it is for free.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My wife and I have been talking about riding the full length of Route 66 in 2005. Not being retirees, planning ahead is key for us to allow for the vacation days. Could I get some feedback from you folks as to how many days would be required for an enjoyable riding vacation of this nature, taking in the more interesting tourist traps. We are not Iron Butt types so a marathon dash from Chicago to the west coast is not the intent for this vacation. What would be the best time of year for this trip so as not to freeze or bake your backside in the process?

TIA for your input.

G

·
Jimmy Polley & I are doing it in mid June.

Gonna take 2 weeks. Ride around North rim of Grand Canyon on way out to Ca. Will start Route 66 at Pacific Ocean and follow all the way to Chicago. Can't hardly wait.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts