GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depending on how much time my wife can take off the end of April to 2nd week in May, we will either be riding Route 66 from Kingman to Chicago or Route 66 from Barstow to LA and then the PCH to San Francisco.

Just wondering on either route any specific things, places, off route rides, eats, etc. that we should definitely catch.

Since we recently moved from Chicago to Las Vegas, I was able to ride the Rockies before the snow, so am looking for another way back from Chi-town as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Depending on how much time my wife can take off the end of April to 2nd week in May, we will either be riding Route 66 from Kingman to Chicago or Route 66 from Barstow to LA and then the PCH to San Francisco.

Just wondering on either route any specific things, places, off route rides, eats, etc. that we should definitely catch.

Since we recently moved from Chicago to Las Vegas, I was able to ride the Rockies before the snow, so am looking for another way back from Chi-town as well.

Sounds like a great ride. We did the PCH in 2000 - I could not make any time because I wanted to stop and take photos all the time. Beautiful scenery that PCH. I have only ridden a few sections of RT 66. Have a great ride any which way you go.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Blaine - IMO it's not even a contest on the route I would take, as the saying says - go west young man. I've been on Rt. 66, but never quite figured it's draw for going that far via a motorcycle. Road-wise there are far far more interesting places to ride and also sights to see that are off Rt. 66, none-the-less the PCH is far more entertaining, most especially above the Golden Gate. I also wouldn't bother with going so far south to catch Hwy 1 unless you want to get among millions of people and very very crowded highways. Ideally, I'd head across towards Bakersfield view I-40 and then up to Hwy 178 and go west past Lake Isabella and see the thousands of Joshua trees. From Bakerfield catch Hwy 58 and enjoy one of the great roads for motorcycling. On to the PCH and enjoy both the road and sites (ie Hearst Castle, Big Sur, etc. etc.)

If you can go more north on Hwy 1 and above the Golden Gate IMO it even gets better than the more southern part of the road. Of course, by doing so that also gets you exposed to some of the great roads in all of California Hwy 36 - Hwy 3 - Hwy 299 - Hwy 96, etc. - plus some interesting options for your return route home via Hwy 89 over Mt. Lassen and by Lake Almanor and going over as many of the Sierra Pass routes as time allows (the more the better since they are all different and great great roads). Personally, I like Ebbetts Pass (Hwy 4), then Sonora Pass (Hwy 108), they Hwy 120 Tioga Pass and many others, but they each offer some interesting options and possibilities for both riding and site-seeing.

Skip the ride east on Rt. 66, IMO you can do much much better and time has really past that route and road.

DaleC

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

Both are good, IMO. As far as what to see, I recommend Google and AAA tour guides. A third alternative to consider now or in the future is the Southern Rte. 66, AKA U S Hwy 90.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
given the choice, its pacific coast hiway 99-1

route 66 is just a bunch of brown signs, where things used to be

whats left is tacky, rundown tourist traps

for the most part, not much to see on old 66

i will be leaving about may 10 to run to santa monica, and then up the pch to crater lake, hells canyon, across utah and home

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Blaine - IMO it's not even a contest on the route I would take, as the saying says - go west young man. I've been on Rt. 66, but never quite figured it's draw for going that far via a motorcycle. <...>

Skip the ride east on Rt. 66, IMO you can do much much better and time has really past that route and road.
Amen, bruddah!!

Someone else mentioned get north of San Francisco - but, before you do, there are some really neat roads in the hills around SFO as well to play on, if you put your mind to it and go find them.

For busflyer - check out pashnit.com if you're serious about doing some exploring along the left coast. If it can be done on two wheels, they've probably written about it!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I rode the PCH from Reedsport, OR to Newport Beach, CA in July 2002. It's a great ride, more scenic (closer to the ocean) going south rather than north. Have ridden route 66 through N.M., AZ and CA, no big thrill.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Take 66. Stay away from the PCH, far away. I made the mistake of riding it, and just had to live near it. Bye bye Texas, hello California... I've been down the PCH to Big Sur, about 8 times in the past 2 years, and am heading back down that way this weekend...

·
Registered
276 Posts
i will be leaving about may 10 to run to santa monica, and then up the pch to crater lake, hells canyon, across utah and home
Now Loren, you're gonna have to do this in a bit of a hurry if you're goin' one up. Ya' gotta be sure you're home for Mother's Day.

Be nice to Momma, now.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
... I've been down the PCH to Big Sur, about 8 times in the past 2 years, and am heading back down that way this weekend...
Last July, the locals decided to burn down the hills and mountains around Big Sur, so the stretch from Monterey to San Luis Obispo I've not (yet) ridden since much of it was closed or restricted.

Need to get back and continue the journey - had to stop at Arcata and head for home, so there's stretches I've seen of CA-1, and stretches I need to see - but probably not this year.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Take Route 66 to say you've done it. (Don't forget your sun screen.)

Take the PCH for the scenery. (Don't forget your camera, extra batteries & memory or your rain gear.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advise. Will probably take the PCH. The routing through Bakersfield sounds interesting.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
PCH is truly awesome. My son and I rode our bikes from just west of Paso Robles to Monterey, and wish we could have gone further. It is definitely on my short list to ride more of it when I can. I also want to do Route 66 just to say I did it, but PCH has the views. We stopped to watch elephant seals, and you can't do that on Route 66.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Thanks for the advise. Will probably take the PCH. The routing through Bakersfield sounds interesting.

Thanks again.
PCH must do's;

Plan for lots of stopping to say ooh and ahhh.

Plan to say "wow!" a few thousand times.

Eat at Nepenthe.

See if you can stay at Treebones Resort in Big Sur. They don't usually offer single nights, but I was able to get one because it was an "orphan" in there schedule(between two other stays).

Stop in Castroville and eat the best strawberries you'll ever have.

Do a wine-tasting at Chateu Julien on Carmel Valley RD.

Check out Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. If you can catch the sunset there, it can be epic.

Check out Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf. If you like Clam Chowder, fill up on it, by tasting everyone's samples.

If you are in Monterey for Breakfast, have it at Old Monterey Cafe. The Cinnamon Swirl French Toast and Corned Beef Hash are to die for.

Ride through Carmel. Walk on Carmel Beach and freeze your toes in the Pacific.

I'm heading that way now, and will post more when I get back...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Now Loren, you're gonna have to do this in a bit of a hurry if you're goin' one up. Ya' gotta be sure you're home for Mother's Day.

Be nice to Momma, now.:lol::lol::lol:
i can call her

im taking about 18-20 days in total

will be riding hard out to santa monica, no stops

and riding hard from southern utah home, no stops

but plenty in between those places

·
Registered
13 Posts
Route 66

I live on route 66 near the Hooker Cut in central Missouri. If you like great BBQ , you need to stop at the Elbow Inn @ Devils Elbow. The Elbow is located between Rolla and Waynesville ,Mo. on old route 66. There is also a large gathering of riders there every Thursday night "bike night". The old road is not what it once was, so take your time and enjoy the ride.. Don't forget to sigh Terry's log book @ the Elbow.. Have a safe trip..

·
Registered
855 Posts
PCH is truly awesome. My son and I rode our bikes from just west of Paso Robles to Monterey, and wish we could have gone further. It is definitely on my short list to ride more of it when I can. I also want to do Route 66 just to say I did it, but PCH has the views. We stopped to watch elephant seals, and you can't do that on Route 66.
:agree:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts