GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at taking a trip from Chicago to Santa Monica and trying to stay on Rt 66 as much as I can. I am trying to figure out how to plan this route on my 2017 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. I have tried using the Honda Trip Planner, but I can't choose which route I wish to take. I see where I can select avoid highways, but this isn't doing the trick. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Stop in Tucumcari, New Mexico and stay at the Blue Swallow Motel. Each room has it's own garage to park in and they all have murals on the walls.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Set your basic route. While enroute, stop along the route and ask the locals what are the best roads to take in the direction you are heading.
I rode from Oregon to Mt. Rushmore one year, 3600 miles round trip. I used this method and only had to ride the freeway for 60 miles of the entire trip. I was able to see a lot of back country on decent roads.

Another method might be to break down your route and ask the members hear about each leg of your trip. I asked about Hwy 50 in Nevada and got a bunch of valuable info. Good luck on your trip planning.

·
IronMan
17,136 Posts
THERES A GROUP RIDE EVERY YEAR FROM CHICAGO TO SAN DIEGO PLENTY POSTS ON IT GREAT INFO AND ALL PLANNED OUT .

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I understand your frustration. While Honda Trip Planner says that it allows you to "drag and drop" the planned route to adjust it to your liking, I don't think that feature actually works. At least not with Chrome on Windows 10.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do a lot of trips where like you I want to go to specific places and take specific roads. The Factory GPS on my 2018 simply makes all that too difficult IMO. Generally I use the Factory GPS map set to a scale of 1 mile or less to help me maintain situational awareness in my immediate area. I can easly Zoom in and out as needed.

For route planning I use my TomTom 550 which is designed for what you want to do. I've used Garmin and TomTom extensively and prefer the TomTom. The 550 is the perfect size IMO, bright screen, easy to read and the unit is very portable. You can plan routes on a computer or on the Cloud from anywhere as I do on Myrouteapp.

The 550 has very fast screen refresh rates, zoom and pan so you can easily review / edit routes on the unit at restaurants and hotels as needed. You really need to consider a separate dedicated GPS. Fighting the Factory GPS on a trip of this scale is just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am looking at taking a trip from Chicago to Santa Monica and trying to stay on Rt 66 as much as I can. I am trying to figure out how to plan this route on my 2017 Honda GL1800 Goldwing. I have tried using the Honda Trip Planner, but I can't choose which route I wish to take. I see where I can select avoid highways, but this isn't doing the trick. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Below is a link to a Route 66 group ride that I have had recommended to me:
https://ridert66.mynetworksolutions.mobi
Below is a link to a Route 66 guide that gets good ratings on Amazon:
Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE For Travelers - 4TH EDITION https://www.amazon.com/dp/0988924617/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_u2oAEbCD6WQPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I have tried using the Honda Trip Planner, but I can't choose which route I wish to take. I see where I can select avoid highways, but this isn't doing the trick. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps you're using the wrong tool to do the job.

If I may, let me point you to a little generic information, which may assist you in the preliminary planning you're trying to accomplish:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just to let you know, the ride down Rt 66 through Illinois is a bit of a let down and not much to see. It is also very flat and gets a bit confusing because there are different legs where the route was changed through the years. Make sure to keep your eyes open at the start as it goes through Chicago. A little sketchy... It also parallels I-55 as it heads south from Joliet and again, pretty boring. IMHO, it starts getting better once you get to Missouri and past St. Louis...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the advice and will be looking into the suggestions. Once I figure this out, I will repost to advise on what actually worked. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts