GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a simple question for most, but I don't own a GPS, and thinking of getting a Zumo.

If I understand correctly, you can plan a route to get from point "A", to point "B", on your lap top, then load it to the Zumo. Correct?

However, can you leave your lap top at home, be out somewhere, and ask the Zumo how to get from point "A", to point "B"?

Make sence what I'm asking?

Thanks in advance
Mack

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Re: Route planing on a Zumo?

M&M said:
I'm sure this is a simple question for most, but I don't own a GPS, and thinking of getting a Zumo.

If I understand correctly, you can plan a route to get from point "A", to point "B", on your lap top, then load it to the Zumo. Correct?

However, can you leave your lap top at home, be out somewhere, and ask the Zumo how to get from point "A", to point "B"?

Make sence what I'm asking?

Thanks in advance
Mack
Makes sense to me Mack. You use Mapsource (comes with the Zumo) on your laptop to plan an exact route. When you don't have your laptop the Zumo can be programmed manually (looks like a PITA to me) or you can just tell it where to take you and it will do the work. I always bring the laptop with me, Dell 600m that is not to big.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The main drawback for me with the Zumo is that it will only store one route. If you are on a week trip without a laptop, you will have to do a lot of input on the Zumo itself. A real PITA. JMHO

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
747 Posts
arkie said:
The main drawback for me with the Zumo is that it will only store one route. If you are on a week trip without a laptop, you will have to do a lot of input on the Zumo itself. A real PITA. JMHO

Buck in NE Arkansas
I don't know were you got that information,I have 10 routes saved in my Zumo. :roll:

Ed... :?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Arkie, the Zumo will store up to 50 routes in its' internal memory, able to be called up and run with a couple of screen taps. In addition, you can store many more on the removable memory cards if you really need to.

Unfortunately, there's still some old/inaccurate data floating around the internet.

Routing is not a problem for the Zumo.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 2820 will store up to 50 routes in the unit as well, but since there's no memory expansion available for it, you'd have to delete/exchange some when you hit the limit.

The 2820 will also support up to 254 waypoints/route (vs. the Zumo's 200) and will store up to 2000 waypoints (vs. the Zumo's 500)

You'd have to do some serious traveling where 50 stored routes wouldn't be enough... maybe if you're retired and living on the bike (or a motorhome?)

·
Registered
705 Posts
You'd have to do some serious traveling where 50 stored routes wouldn't be enough... maybe if you're retired and living on the bike (or a motorhome?)
Thanks Jon,

I know all the routes to the Local Doughnut shops and Ice cream places so maybe I only need to store 4 routes, I guess I'll have enough, LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts