GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ! -I am waiting on a new GPS to arrive so I was looking at Hd Ride planner! From what I understand you can ony have 9 way points including start & finish! So My question is how do you plan for longer trips?..Do you break them down into smaller ones? -This is my first time trying this ,as you most likely can tell!! LOL -we are going on a 5500 mile trip and want to plan out main course! Also if along the way we wanted to make changes to it how does that play in to it?..Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gps

Look at TYRE software. If you have a Garmin, then ALSO look at BaseCamp from Garmin. Of course if you have a garmin, it has to be able to accept routes. You can look on their site in the technical specification page, and about 3/4 the way down it will say 100 routes (for most current models.) These can be thousands of way points, and as long as you want, but I advise breaking it down for just a few hundred miles each, because if you make a mistake, you may have to scrap the whole route, and start over.

BTW, I like BaseCamp, but it probably just because I have gotten used to it and understand it much better.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Hello all ! -I am waiting on a new GPS to arrive so I was looking at Hd Ride planner! From what I understand you can ony have 9 way points including start & finish! So My question is how do you plan for longer trips?..Do you break them down into smaller ones? -This is my first time trying this ,as you most likely can tell!! LOL -we are going on a 5500 mile trip and want to plan out main course! Also if along the way we wanted to make changes to it how does that play in to it?..Thanks for all the help!
Think about making a plan for each day. It will be easier to manage than on route for the whole trip. This is especially true if you want to make alterations. You can have a number of different routes planned and saved. Plus the files will be smaller and less susceptible to errors and problem with loading and saving. A single route with lots and lots of waypoints will be large and slow to load and transfer to your GPS.
I have tried it both ways and now ill only have one day per route because of some of the problems mentioned. It is very frustrating to be working on a multi-day route and have a computer hiccup cause the whole thing to be lost and have to start over. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
route planning?

I like maps, you know the 'old fashioned' paper ones. So, about 6 months or so before we actually go on a trip, I go to the states tourism sites and order them. I now have a nice file drawer of maps for trip planning. Half the 'fun' of a trip for me is looking at routes and alternatives either with paper maps or Google Earth. That is one AWESOME program. It lets you actually see the interest points in many parts of our country. The GPS is for when on the road, I tell it which city is our next stop and then it tells me how many miles and long to get there. Also comes in handy for finding eateries and camp grounds if I all ready have not looked up that info. I learned many years ago from my Dad how to read and fold maps! WOW!! Any way that is what I do it, and my kids think I am goofy but then guess who asks how to get there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I use basecamp and as already mentioned make a route for each day.. basecamp does have a learning curve, but watch tutorials on YouTube . Once you learn it you'll love it!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I plan all my trips, long or short, the same way. I determine my destination and everything else is subject to change at a moments notice.
The GPS is there to get me back on track after I wander off the path.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I plan all my trips, long or short, the same way. I determine my destination and everything else is subject to change at a moments notice.
That's pretty much the way I do it as well. I don't want every little turn planned out in advance-- I use maps, GPS, and the posted road signs as "guides" for my adventures. Of course sometimes you have to get somewhere specific at a certain time, but mostly I'm just exploring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like maps, you know the 'old fashioned' paper ones. So, about 6 months or so before we actually go on a trip, I go to the states tourism sites and order them. I now have a nice file drawer of maps for trip planning. Half the 'fun' of a trip for me is looking at routes and alternatives either with paper maps or Google Earth. That is one AWESOME program. It lets you actually see the interest points in many parts of our country. The GPS is for when on the road, I tell it which city is our next stop and then it tells me how many miles and long to get there. Also comes in handy for finding eateries and camp grounds if I all ready have not looked up that info. I learned many years ago from my Dad how to read and fold maps! WOW!! Any way that is what I do it, and my kids think I am goofy but then guess who asks how to get there.
Same here. I'll use the GPS for a specific address, but the rest is done via paper maps or atlas.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I used the HD ride planner last year. And then i would download them to my brother-in-law Garmen HD gps. I dont recal that there was a limit on the # of way points. But i was just planning each day as a single ride so for a 2+ week trip I had 15 individual rides.

The HD ride planner is very easy to use and download. The map functions work almost like Google maps.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Each year Harley publishes what they call their "Touring Handbook". It's essentially a downsized version of a Rand-McNally Road Atlas. I take the previous years copy, cut out the pages, and then laminate the pages for the states, and cities that I will, or might be traveling in. I carry these laminated maps with me on the bike. I use my GPS map for my immediate surroundings (and amenities like fuel, food, etc.), as well as for my End of Day destination. I use the laminated maps for planning and for impromptu side trips. The GPS (if not the maps) will get me back on track, although truth be told, I use the GPS mostly for timing . . . Ex: What time is it now and how long will it take me to get to where I need to be that day . . . . anyhow . . . worst case . . . I stop and ask directions, and make new friends. Essentially the GPS provides both the close in solution and the 30,000 foot view while the maps give me the intermediate. I've tried using various trip planning applications and they all work to one degree or another. The problems arise when your actual trip doesn't match the route you programed . . . and that seems to happen frequently enough that a combination of the old (maps) and the new (GPS) has worked well for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I really like Microsoft Streets and Trips. I also use Basecamp but the Streets and Trips is so much easier to use and gives you more options for the route.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I really like Microsoft Streets and Trips. I also use Basecamp but the Streets and Trips is so much easier to use and gives you more options for the route.
I also like street & trips but can't load to my garmin.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I also like street & trips but can't load to my garmin.
It fairly easy convert a file from Streets and Trips so that it can be imported into MapSource or BaseCamp and then uploaded to your Garmin. Let me know if you want details.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Routes

What is the make and model of your GPS? If it is a Garmin I may be able to help.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I like to study for routes on a computer (Google Maps, Google Earth, Bing, etc.). I find much more interesting routes on my own than whatever a GPS or even asking the computer can find. The street view feature is really cool. By the time I'm ready for a long adventure I'm pretty familiar with the route a both street level and overhead. I dare say that I have found a few curvy roads in Florida.

I still like to use the OEM maps as a rolling map but I will never set in a long route to it (might use it in a neighborhood).

·
Registered
5,940 Posts

+1

·
Registered
627 Posts
It fairly easy convert a file from Streets and Trips so that it can be imported into MapSource or BaseCamp and then uploaded to your Garmin. Let me know if you want details.
PM sent

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I'm a belt and suspenders guy. I like GPS for lots of reasons but they can't compare to a card in a tank bag window.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Good thought, I remember when we used those cards, worked pretty well; especially for the back roads which seem so problematic with the GPS world.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts