GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to turn off route preferences in the gps? I made a great route to keep me away from this one particular city. The preferences was set to fastest time. Took me right through that city. I know if I added more waypoints would have worked but honestly I thought I had enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Confusion

Is there a way to turn off route preferences in the gps? I made a great route to keep me away from this one particular city. The preferences was set to fastest time. Took me right through that city. I know if I added more waypoints would have worked but honestly I thought I had enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are lots of folks here who can explain this better than I can, but let me give it a shot. The only thing a gps "Route" consists of is a series of waypoints. It is up to the GPS to determine how to get you from one waypoint to another. It makes no sense to "turn off route preference" as then the GPS could not get you from waypoint to waypoint. I use a Garmin GPS and Basecamp and set the routing method to be the same on both devices. If I am really concerned about the route, I can turn off recalculation on the GPS since I have a Zumo, but then it is completely my problem to get back on the route if I miss a turn.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Networkguy3 pretty much summed it up correctly. What I did on a 6K trip through the Northeast was planned the route on Google maps and found cities near the ones I wanted to avoid like Boston and NYC and just put them in as a destination then when I got close to them and saw that I could avoid the big city I just put in the next one. I almost always put each major waypoint in prior to departing on the trip and just update as needed. You will be stopping for fuel often enough that you can update at fuel stops. I've traveled the lower 48 once and 44 the second time in this manner and it's worked for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts