GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I are planning to go to the Dragon mid June. Can anyone suggest a decent route excluding interstate from Texarkana to east Tennessee? We may be forced to take I-20 for the sake of time, but I hate riding interstates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take US 82 to Natchez Trace, to US 72 thru Huntsville to I 24 and I 75 around Chattanooga and on to US 64 at Ooltewah. Take U S 64 to Ducktown, then north to Cherohala Skyway. Only traffic will be around Huntsville and Chattanooga.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I agree with poster #2, or some close variation of that route. hwy 72, from wherever you get on it, all the way to I-24 into chattanooga, then I75 up to Cleveland(follow signs for 64 east/ooltewah). the trip thru the Ocoee to ducktown is a good route. I also like hwy 68 up to Tellico plains to the cherohala hwy. be sure you have at least 1/2 tank of gas before you leave Tellico plains to go across the cherohala skyway.---I usually just fill up in Tellico plains. across the Ocoee, up hw 68, and across the cherohala is more fun to me than the dragon. the dragon is so curvy you can't even glance off the road at all. it's sorta hard to find a BAD road up there; some are just better than others!! north of the dragon you also have the foothills pkwy-which is a relaxing curvy ride across to Townsend, TN. there is a clean, cheap motel there--HEADRICK'S. homeowned, not fancy, but very clean and quiet. I stay there everytime i'm in the area. it's about 1/2 the price of the other motels in townsend.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The only variation we might make (unless we decide on I 20 for times sake) is to take 411 to Maryville. I think my buddy has already made reservations there. We will probably stay a night somewhere around Huntsville on the way up. This will be my first time there on two wheels, so it's all an adventure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are concerned about time and are not excited about riding the Trace, I would suggest leaving the Trace at Tupelo (MS) on US 78 to Hamilton (AL), then north on US 43 to Russellville (AL) and 24 to US 72 in Decatur (AL). These are good roads with no traffic and will save about 1 hour.

Scottsboro (AL) is a good place to spend the night. Lots of motels and food. We stay at the new Comfort Suites for about $80. You will probably be ready to stop before getting there.

411 to Marysville is a good 4 lane with lots of traffic and many red lights. Again, if time is a concern, stay on I 75 to Lenoir City, then 321 to Marysville. You will thank me later.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
:roll::roll::agree::agree:bring some good ole tx bbq with ya :bow::bow:;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts