GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a couple of suggestions. We are about to set off on a 10k mile cross country trip next week and we are leaving from Florida, heading west to San Fran area to start, then heading north. My main quesiton is going across the US, I know it's going to be boring and hot as hell going across, but does anyone suggest one route over another? We are basically looking to stop at the Grand Canyon. Any other suggested stops that wouldn't take us too far out of the way?
If we are going to be using interstate, is I10, or I40 best? Which has highest elevations, more scenic views, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
At this time of year, weather wise (or otherwise), the difference between 10 and 40 is negligible. It's going to be hot either way and there really isn't much scenery until you get to the southern Rockies. Across west Texas on 10, it's really cool to see all the wind mills generating electricity. Outside that, it's really pretty boring.

My suggestion would be head north as quickly as possible and go across on 90, but that would be way out of your way.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
can take rt 82 (get in ga ) country roads - all the way to 287 in tx to 40 . most 55 mph - be sure if have time to hit zion n crater lake - cut over to pacific hwy up coast - i hit yellowstone everytime in area . good luck n enjoy trip

·
Registered
576 Posts
40?

40 in NM and AZ is very windy. You won't like it. Carry water on the bike. Dehydration is a real problem. I use a 100 oz Camelback strapped on with a a tube extention so I can drink every 10-15 miles. Sometimes I go through 2 fills a day.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
can take rt 82 (get in ga ) country roads - all the way to 287 in tx to 40 . most 55 mph - be sure if have time to hit zion n crater lake - cut over to pacific hwy up coast - i hit yellowstone everytime in area . good luck n enjoy trip
That's actually an excellent idea and route. Dennis (wing-wing) and I rode that out to Rockies Gold in 2008. Here is the route we took.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea what it looks like along 82. Note: Click the button that points to the left at the top right of the screen to see the images in the correct order. I believe I started taking pictures in the eastern part of Texas all the way to Colorado. Route 82 images are Image 0.htm to image 18.htm.

http://hondagw1800.com/rg2008/

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I just got back from a trip out west. I went out I-10 till I hit US-191 in Arizona then went north till I got to Blanding Utah. Then went back east again to Ouray Co. I hit temps as high as 111 degrees in west Texas and as low as 34 degrees on the Million Dollar Hwy in Co. I hit a lot of wind on I-10 going and a lot on I-40 coming back. I expected it though. I have never been out west and not hit a lot of it. For some reason it always seems to be blowing across the road not at you back or straight head on. I encountered a few dust storms also especially in west Texas and New Mexico. Be safe and have a good time I did.:lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics, thanks for sharing! What time of year was it when they were taken? Just wondering if we will see much snow on the ground when we are there. We are leaving next Wednesday from florida, so by next friday/saturday we should be in colorado.

Rick

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Great pics, thanks for sharing! What time of year was it when they were taken? Just wondering if we will see much snow on the ground when we are there. We are leaving next Wednesday from florida, so by next friday/saturday we should be in colorado.

Rick
Rick,

Those pics were in early June. The snow pics were both through Independence Pass as well as Colorado National Monument. There will still be snow at the higher elevations, but the roads will be fine. Will will definitely need more than a mesh jacket at the higher elevations in Colorado, so be prepared. At the lower elevations, it'll be nice and warm. Not nearly as warm as what you're going to experience across Texas and New Mexico. Keep hydrated and keep telling yourself... "not much longer till the mountains."

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I was over wolf creek pass last week at over 10,800 feet. No snow and wore mesh jacket..

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I was over wolf creek pass last week at over 10,800 feet. No snow and wore mesh jacket..
Awesome! Did you get to any higher elevations to see snow? I know in 2008, they had a late snow and the road from Twin Lakes to Independence Pass was closed for the first few days we were there. Global warming might have changed the conditions since I was there last. :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to getting on the road. I will be up in glacier national park and Yellowstone the second half of the month. Of course I won't miss brpeartooth pass either. Prob my favorite place ever!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Awesome! Did you get to any higher elevations to see snow? I know in 2008, they had a late snow and the road from Twin Lakes to Independence Pass was closed for the first few days we were there. Global warming might have changed the conditions since I was there last. :lol:
Only place I saw any snow was on the mountain peaks in the distance .

Other than on beartooth pass..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts