GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Villa Rica Georgia (west of Atlanta) from Indiana. I am wanting to do a leisurely overnight ride leave Saturday Morning and return Sunday afternoon to the Maggie Valley / Asheville or any other nice place to ride too in that area. I have ridden the dragon several times and wont be broken hearted if I miss it this trip. My biggest problem is that I dont know the roads between my house and Maggie Valley at all and have no idea on what route to take. So if someone could suggest a route and even a destination it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I have some routes that were suggested by someone on another forum. We road the routes last September. If you send me a PM I can email you the GPX files for that trip.

We did it in four days. We found the roads and views and scenery excellent. It does not include the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Head west on any good motorcycle road until you hit US 441 and head north. Since you are so close to the northern border of GA, it will be decent riding. US 441 goes right through the Smokey Mountains NP into Gatlinburg.

A more adventurous route would be taking US 19 north to US 74 N (you'll actually heading NE), and then head north on US 129 - right into the Tail of the Dragon. Then you can spend a week riding some of the best motorcycle roads in the eastern US.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some routes that were suggested by someone on another forum. We road the routes last September. If you send me a PM I can email you the GPX files for that trip.

We did it in four days. We found the roads and views and scenery excellent. It does not include the Blue Ridge Parkway.
sending you a PM

·
Registered
413 Posts
Look at the Waterfall Scenic Byway in NC. It runs east t west, but a great ride.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Do you have your heart set on Maggie/Asheville?
Soooo... here goes...
N. on 19 (jus' to get ya outta "Hot"lanta area) to Dahlonega, Ga.
Split L on 60 toward Suches, Ga. and follow it all the way to the Tn. line at Copperhill, Tn.
it turns into 68, stay on that all the way to Tellico Plains, Tn.
E. on 165 (Cherohala Skyway) turns into 143 at N. Carolina line down into and through Robbinsville, Nc. all the way to 28.
Right (South) on 28 through Stecoah, Nc. to Left (East) on 74.
You wont go very far on 74 (Smoky Mtn. Expressway) before 28 comes up again on your right, turn right on 28 headed South toward Franklin, Nc.
From Franklin, Nc. take 64 past Cullasaja Falls, Dry Falls, & Bridal Veil Falls to Highlands, Nc. (This is where I'd stay the night. The altitude makes for a fine evening! There are good restaurants, lodging, & an ABC if ya want something to wet your whistle:thumbup:)
Next morn depends on how much riding ya wanna do to get home... If you're tired 28 South to Pine Mountain, Ga. & right on Warwoman Rd. puts ya in Clayton, Ga. & heads ya home on 23 (past Tallulah Falls, definitely worth a look!)
but... if you're ridin' I'd hafta go East on 64 to either Rosman, Nc. & up 215 to BRP or maybe even Brevard, Nc. & up 276 to BRP, then Blue Ridge Prkwy to 74 (Smoky Mtn. Expressway). From there you can head West toward Sylva, Nc. & South on 23, be home in time for supper:wink2:
Best roads on this ride...60/68/165/143/28(especially 74 to Franklin!)/64/215/276/BRP.
If ya don't like twisties, please ignore everything I've jus' written:nojoke:
P.S. This is easily doable on an overnighter!
We leave from Knoxville, Tn. as late as noon & do Highlands for pizza at the Fresh Market then 215 up, BRP, Maggie, New Found Gap @ top of Smokys and home 'fore dark:biker:
Enjoy the roll Bro!

·
Registered
268 Posts
^^^^ this ^^^^ .
I'm in Harrison Ar. now having just came through most of the area named above.
I thought the ride from the east end of the Cherahola Skyway to Deals Gap was prettier and more fun than the tail of the Dragon itself.
We even had a detour from Clayton down to Gainsville to buy a new tire for my brother in law's bike. Nice ride.
Lots of roads in the area. Pick one, ride it until you're ready to stop for the day, then turn around and ride home. All the left hand turns are now right handers !!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
For the route, what Mr. Whiskey says is good... another idea for rides up that way, look at the web site southerndozen.com.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I've ridden the very routes Mr. Whiskey described. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ditto on Mr. Whiskey's route. Warwoman road is near the top of the list of good roads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts