GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Temps got up into the mid 50's here today so I decided to try out the new Nav software.

I first made a route in Mapsource with about 20 waypoints in it and loaded it into the bike. I purposely put one waypoint off my intended route to see what it would do. First thing I noticed is there is a change to the guidance screen that appears when you are approaching a turn. The background of the pop up screen on the right side is now black with road outlines in yellow, which make it easier to see. The next thing I noticed was that even though I put my waypoints on the road, the system was trying to constantly force me to make right turns on small roads to pick up the waypoints for some reason. Maybe the Garmin mapsource data is slightly different and causes this? Not sure, but after I passed the waypoint, it seemed to behave itself.

The biggest bug I found is the same old one it had before. If you miss a waypoint, it will constantly try to force you to make a U turn and go back and pick it up, even if you have continued on past the next several waypoints. I continued about 10 miles, and it still kept trying to make me go back. I was eventually forced to cancel the route to shut it up.

So while you can make a route with many more waypoints, you still can't miss a waypoint and let the system recalculate and correct itself. It looks to me like the software programmers still have some work left to do. Let's hope they fix this with the next update.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive had that issue with multiple nav software, programs and apps over the years.
One one hand its doing exactly what you want it to do. It trying to get you to you chosen destination.
On the other hand as riders we need a software/app that lets us drop a waypoint as a marker only and not a destination point. I've yet to find one that does that well.

Garmin was my favorite when it started allowing custom routing and now they do custom rout shaping (like google maps where you drag the route to suite your needs. It used to allow you to create a route and save it. I would number them and would simply tap the next route in the series I created.

GPS has been frustrating me as a rider since inception.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Temps got up into the mid 50's here today so I decided to try out the new Nav software.

I first made a route in Mapsource with about 20 waypoints in it and loaded it into the bike. I purposely put one waypoint off my intended route to see what it would do. First thing I noticed is there is a change to the guidance screen that appears when you are approaching a turn. The background of the pop up screen on the right side is now black with road outlines in yellow, which make it easier to see. The next thing I noticed was that even though I put my waypoints on the road, the system was trying to constantly force me to make right turns on small roads to pick up the waypoints for some reason. Maybe the Garmin mapsource data is slightly different and causes this? Not sure, but after I passed the waypoint, it seemed to behave itself.

The biggest bug I found is the same old one it had before. If you miss a waypoint, it will constantly try to force you to make a U turn and go back and pick it up, even if you have continued on past the next several waypoints. I continued about 10 miles, and it still kept trying to make me go back. I was eventually forced to cancel the route to shut it up.

So while you can make a route with many more waypoints, you still can't miss a waypoint and let the system recalculate and correct itself. It looks to me like the software programmers still have some work left to do. Let's hope they fix this with the next update.
Sounds like the way it has always been. They added more waypoints but did not change or fix anything else.

But then they never said they did, just added more waypoints.

Maybe in another 6 months they will fix one other thing. :wink2:

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can just delete that individual waypoint from the Nav menu while riding if it tries to make you go back. You do not have to delete or quit the entire route.

But it would be nice if it was done automatically like Garmin.

Yes, but I think that only works if you do it before you get to the next waypoint, and you have to know which waypoint it is, and in a route with a lot of waypoints, that can be tough to do while moving down the road.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If I pass one and it redirects me I immediately go in and delete it, if done that way its always the last one or first depending on how you view it. I have never had them so close that it caused a problem but imagine it could be difficult passing two.

Its just not a very user friendly system and I would have thought after the very direct complaints Honda would have fixed it.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
If I pass one and it redirects me I immediately go in and delete it, if done that way its always the last one or first depending on how you view it. I have never had them so close that it caused a problem but imagine it could be difficult passing two.

Its just not a very user friendly system and I would have thought after the very direct complaints Honda would have fixed it.
I've always done the same as this. Found out deleting individual points was possible by accident but discovered later it is in the nav manual.

·
Registered
716 Posts

My garmin 2797 does exactly this same thing,if I bypass a via that I placed in a rte. it does not skip to the next one but constantly re directs me back to the one I skipped.this is on a rte. I loaded into my GPS and not on one the GPS itself created.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Garmins I have used will check when they recalculate, and if the next waypoint is closer in distance than the last one, it will just skip the last one and go to the next. I believe this is the way it should be programmed.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Im not going to do anymore update/resets. Three is enough, my give-a- shite is broken.
Google maps are awesome.:smile2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Garmins I have used will check when they recalculate, and if the next waypoint is closer in distance than the last one, it will just skip the last one and go to the next. I believe this is the way it should be programmed.
My Nav VI Garmin gives you the option to automatically delete waypoints or not. Same thing with recalculating a route if you stray; you can allow it to automatically recalculate, recalculate after it asks you if it should or do nothing. These Garmins are way, way beyond the one on this bike albeit very expensive!

Marc

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Thats just silly...all computers get updates...my phone, my computer gets updates all the time, why is it any different with the bikes computer

That's easy to answer Frank, I don't mind updates that get results.
I have been frustrated many times with trying to put in a destination on the Honda unit along with the waypoint U-turn crap.
With iPhone, all I have to do is voice search Goggle maps and BAM there it is.
No hassle, no games.
I will stick with Google maps from now on out.
The Nav screen is useless in my opinion.:frown2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Nav VI Garmin gives you the option to automatically delete waypoints or not. Same thing with recalculating a route if you stray; you can allow it to automatically recalculate, recalculate after it asks you if it should or do nothing. These Garmins are way, way beyond the one on this bike albeit very expensive!

Marc
This is for me the best ever. And what's for me important, recalculate OFF. So you can make your own choice how you overcome an road interruption. If you have hard waypoints you can skip them if you want very easy.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
From the little I know of the built in GPS, yeah, it's got limitations. Good luck to those trying to milk some utility out of it.

I was experimenting a while back with my nuvi 2797 to figure out how it re-routes in practice if you miss a point.
  • If it was a via point, it will religiously re-route you back to it until you get to it, even if you wound up on the route it wants you to go down after you clear that point and it means backtracking. It will run you back upstream, check the box for visiting the point, and tell you to u-turn. Short of keying the unit to skip to the next point, I couldn't get it to stop doing that.
  • If is was a shaping point ("do not alert" on) then it is still pretty insistent about going back. More than I thought it would be. The one thing that made it drop it like a bad habit was getting onto the route downstream -- it will cancel the missed shaping point rather than backtracking.
  • Noting Fred's comment about distance to skipped point vs. the point after that, I don't know where I was on that.

I like the Garmin models with the Trip Planner interface, which I find easier to use to skip a point or start a route at mid-route than the ones with Custom Routes (like my old zumo 665).

I thought all the Trip Planner things behaved the same way but talking with another GPS geek about the buttonology for skipping points on the fly, we couldn't get on the same page. Maybe it was us being wrong or confused, maybe there are differences across models. TBD.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
We are all very spoiled because we have had better ! Since I had to deal with the gps on the 18 star venture I just chuckle because that was beyond incompetent shite and took hours on the phone by the dealer with CA techs trying just to get it to turn on. What is weird is honda and yamaha got this from the same company ; harmon , who got their software from another company which makes this for dozens of bikes. Anyway yamaha buried their head in the sand and honda at least owned up to the boon doggle and tried. Two updates is way better than crickets from yamaha. Honda sent out the update before the dealers even heard of it ; RIDE NOW couldnt even find it while I was there Fri so I did it myself . Yamaha azzholes taught me PATIENCE sigh; not easy !!!!! >:)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
We are all very spoiled because we have had better ! Since I had to deal with the gps on the 18 star venture I just chuckle because that was beyond incompetent shite and took hours on the phone by the dealer with CA techs trying just to get it to turn on. What is weird is honda and yamaha got this from the same company ; harmon , who got their software from another company which makes this for dozens of bikes. Anyway yamaha buried their head in the sand and honda at least owned up to the boon doggle and tried. Two updates is way better than crickets from yamaha. Honda sent out the update before the dealers even heard of it ; RIDE NOW couldnt even find it while I was there Fri so I did it myself . Yamaha azzholes taught me PATIENCE sigh; not easy !!!!! >:)
You seem to be saying Yamaha is not updating its Navi with the Venture...seems to me that they are.

https://yamaha.welcome.naviextras.com/

·
Registered
167 Posts
They better separate there firmware update from the map update. So it's a lot faster and less risc to have problems on the bike . I can imagine if there is a battery problem during the update.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You seem to be saying Yamaha is not updating its Navi with the Venture...seems to me that they are.

https://yamaha.welcome.naviextras.com/
yes after I got rid of it : the issue was the ignoring of problems by yamaha with the "we werent aware of that " bs. When cs started lying to me that was the end ; it was see ya ! Then they would say take it to the dealer hahaha , the dealers didnt know anymore than me and usually less.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts