GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to route wires from the left faring pocket to the battery. What has to be removed, how do you do it?

any instructions, pictures etc are welcome.

thanks in advance,

dave

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
On my first air filter change, with the shelter out of the way, I routed wires to both pockets from the battery. I just ran them along the frame and then followed wiring harnesses to get to my destination. I have since used one, there other is there in case it is needed.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I am hoping to avoid removing the shelter if I can ... but if not are there good instructs here somewhere to show how to do that?
thx

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
No need to remove the shelter, just the fairing pocket.

Use a rigid wire snake to feed the wire you're going to use up to the pocket area from the battery side, feed it under the shelter along the frame.

Easily done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah, I am hoping to avoid removing the shelter if I can ... but if not are there good instructs here somewhere to show how to do that?
thx
I just removed the left pocket then threaded a stif wire down under plastic along frame until it comes out near battery area with side cover removed . Use it to pull the wires your going to use. Then zip tie to frame where u can n hook up to battery . Been over a yr and have not had any problems .. Oh n put a inline fuse near battery before connecting to battery Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IDM51, yes, I did buy some inline fuses to add to the wires for that purpose. Got those at an auto store per advice on a different thread.

I tried to remove the pocket once before to do something else and had issues on the left side, getting it to release. i was able to pull the four pins. is there anything else that keeps it in place or is it a "pull stronger" issue?

thanks
dave

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I tried to remove the pocket once before to do something else and had issues on the left side, getting it to release. i was able to pull the four pins. is there anything else that keeps it in place or is it a "pull stronger" issue?

thanks
dave[/QUOTE]

If your bike is a 06-10, you have to remove the fairing strip. Not sure about 12-14 models. The instructions are in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 05 so I shouldn't have to pull the strip (and really don't want to because that means taking off the bakers.. ) but will if I have to. found a video that showed how to take the strip off.
thanks...will see how it works later this afternoon. Getting up to a whopping 30 degrees here today so feel like working on the bike... :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Unless you have the optional cigarette lighter socket in the left pocket, there is a two wire terminal carrying 12v already in place, fused and ready to go that is accessible from the left fairing pocket.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Left pocket wire

Aux. wire under left pocket is only about 5 amps. Depending on your needs you may need to go straight to the battery.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
I just removed the left pocket then threaded a stif wire down under plastic along frame until it comes out near battery area with side cover removed . Use it to pull the wires your going to use. Then zip tie to frame where u can n hook up to battery . Been over a yr and have not had any problems .. Oh n put a inline fuse near battery before connecting to battery Hope this helps
That's pretty much the same thing I did over 400,000 miles ago and it's still working fine :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts