GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, didn't find anything specific on what's involved in routing the MP3's audio cable over to the right pocket. My bluetooth unit has taken over the left pocket, iPod needs to move to the right, where I'd rather have it anyway. I can put an extension on the audio wire no problem of course. Would like to do it all nice and proper (no power wire, battery is fine) with a drilled hole (size?) in the right pocket, grommet, etc. Just would like to know where best/how best to route the wire over there. Seems simple enough, just want to get a feel for it ahead of time. I can pull and unplug the meter panel and pockets no prob. Anything to look out for? Suggestions, recommendations?

06 comfort/audio

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
There is a support brace running horzontal across, i use tywraps on it with wires i ran. It is under dash, towards bottom area. Can feel with hands from sider of pocket opening. In front of the pocket tops is a flexible seam, to put wire threw.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... gives me something to go on. :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Reddwing,
If you do end up routing that cable over to the right pocket,
You might want to consider shielding it well,
as it will be running past the cruise control motor area,
which has been noted for introducing noise into the Wing audio systems.
Fred Harmon has some posts about putting a faraday shield over the cruise module,
which may or may not be effective (or required) on an 06 model.
If you run a headlight modulator, that's another souce of induced noise in that area, that shielding can help avoid.
At any rate, running a shielded cable can offer protection in that electrically busy area of the bike.
DC

·
Registered
44 Posts
when i ran mine across i used shelded audio cable routed along the horizontal brace. no noise problems yet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had my Ipod in the right pocket for a while with some foam insulation and still had problems with it shutting down from the heat. Ended up running it to the trunk and haven't had any problem since. I use the RemoteRemote 2 for control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts