GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To plan my rides (especially multi-day rides) I was using Furkot for a few years now. Fairly easy to navigate (once I figured it out), it would let you adjust the route, add multiple stops along the way,...

Recently, I've noticed that the maps on Furkot looks different...Less user-friendly, roads less visible, a lot of info that I'm not using (like every mountain peak in the area), name of the roads not visible till you enlarge into a small detail,.... Clearly, something happened to that program.

Called them and they politely explained to me that they lost a contract with Google maps and are now using a third-party maps. It was more difficult to find roads on those maps but I kept on using the Furkot.

Well, just got back from a 5-day ride and out of 6 rides I've saved into my factory GPS, 3 were completely wrong. The start and the end were right but the roads were different from what I have saved. The route was different. And it wasn't even the shortest route that was showing but rather some strange, weird route that had no logic whatsoever. Still taking me from point A to point B, still calling the route the same name I called it.....but picking the route on it's own.

I believe it's Furkot. I believe the maps they are using are not "in sinc" with what we have in our factory GPS. And the maps in my factory GPS are updated (thanks, Eddie).

Long story short - I'm looking for a different mapping program. The simpler the better, with option to adjust the route by dragging the route to a different road, and/or adding the stops on the way. And, of course, with an option to export the route into our Wing gps.

What do you use?...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,718 Posts
Watching this one closely, for I too am wanting a good, but simple routing program. I have some Basecamp tutorials and may end up with Basecamp, but it is not intuitive.

Harley Ride Planner looks fairly simple, but I've not really tried it yet.

I'm strongly considering just using Google Maps and a gpx converter file.

Again, I'm interested in following this thread.

Glen

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching this one closely, for I too am wanting a good, but simple routing program. I have some Basecamp tutorials and may end up with Basecamp, but it is not intuitive.

Harley Ride Planner looks fairly simple, but I've not really tried it yet.

I'm strongly considering just using Google Maps and a gpx converter file.

Again, I'm interested in following this thread.

Glen
It would be great if we would be able to use Google maps and gpx converter....but that unfortunately doesn't work.

You can plan the ride, convert it to gpx... and Goldwing GPS won't download it. I was hoping it would cause for me that would be the easiest way of doing it - I'm familiar with Google maps and it is user-friendly. But it didn't work....

·
Administrator
3,718 Posts
It would be great if we would be able to use Google maps and gpx converter....but that unfortunately doesn't work.

You can plan the ride, convert it to gpx... and Goldwing GPS won't download it. I was hoping it would cause for me that would be the easiest way of doing it - I'm familiar with Google maps and it is user-friendly. But it didn't work....

I didn't know that! Thanks! But I also have a Zumo 595LM that perhaps will accept it. If I can get comfortable with Basecamp that is probably the best, but in the meantime Google Maps is sure easy!

Glen

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know that! Thanks! But I also have a Zumo 595LM that perhaps will accept it. If I can get comfortable with Basecamp that is probably the best, but in the meantime Google Maps is sure easy!

Glen
I hate the fact that Google maps won't download into our gps!... That said, I'm still hoping somebody would suggest an user-friendly solution.....

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
What's HPT?...

Honda Trip Planner...

https://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

I didn't like it at first.....but have found it can do what I need, once I spent enough time to get used to how it works.
The cost is right, and the learning curve really isn't very long.

It's google maps based.

Easy to store and manage multiple routes.

I use the same 'intermediate point' selection tricks that I learned to use 12 or 15 years ago when we got our first handlebar mounted garmin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I recently started using Kurviger which is an Android app. There is a free version and a $10 version. The part I like best is you set the parameters (such as no highways, no tolls, no dirt roads, etc.) and select your start point and end point and it automatically gives you a route. The route can then be downloaded into the Honda GPS and I assume any other mounted GPS using a USB cord. There are others on this forum with more experience with the app than me so do a search for Kurviger. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and love it. Last week we hit the road using it and after reaching our destination I asked it to route us home and within 2 seconds we had our new route. If you need to change plans in the middle of a trip you don't need a laptop or anything else than a usb cord to come up with new routes and download them into your GPS.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Honda Trip Planner works great if, and only if, you add a lot of way points. If you points are to far apart it may take you a way you don't want to go to get to the next one. Don't ask me how I know this

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ive played with most of them and have settled on Kurviger. look no further. everything else is either too time consuming, too difficult or too unpredictable....or all of the above. One little quirk it has is that its twisty road oriented so it doesnt like the use of highways. I check the highway option and then click and drag to the roads I choose, instead of selecting the twisties option and clicking and dragging to a highway. that of course is if you plan on using any highway at all. if not, just choose the appropriate twisties option. place each way point on the road and export the way points file choosing 95 as the additional way points number, save it to your computer or usb flash drive then install it on the bike, which for me happens to be the navi finicky 2018.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm a bit of a GPS geek and can confidently say they all suck in their own way.

I normally say "buy the best and cry once." It doesn't port over to this domain. BaseCamp is the best, by far IMHO, but the initial cry is a big one and it still makes you weep from time to time.

Many lesser programs pretend to be more user friendly until they leave you hanging.

Simplest is Google Maps if you can tolerate always being in data range or get by with offline maps pre-downloaded and subject to whether it will re-route offline. But it won't do complex routes or route sharing well.

Next simplest is just work directly in your GPS. Enter the routes. Build them on your device.

As soon as you bite the bullet with doing something on the computer and trying to get it to play well with your device, you are on the slippery slope to **** and you will not be satisfied with results if you opt for simplicity, or with simplicity if you opt for results.

Whatever you choose, this guy will be a monkey on your back:

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use MYRouteApp. It is from the people who used to run TYRE before Google Maps changed their policies.

MyRouteApp you have to buy, but has these features:

1/ It uses Google Maps and you can select the type of map you want to use.

2/ There is no limitation on the number of Waypoints (at least that I have found)

3/ It allows you to see POI's (point of interests) like fuel, hotels etc. (I have the gold member option)

It stores the files in the Cloud, so they are accessible on all my devices. I can look at the routes on my phone, desk top computer , and my lap top. I then download the routes to my Garmin Zumo 395. I just did a 13,000 mile ride using 37 daily routes.

They also have video webinars to help you learn how to use the software.

So a big thumbs up for MYRouteApp from me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Honda Trip Planner...

https://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

I didn't like it at first.....but have found it can do what I need, once I spent enough time to get used to how it works.
The cost is right, and the learning curve really isn't very long.

It's google maps based.

Easy to store and manage multiple routes.

I use the same 'intermediate point' selection tricks that I learned to use 12 or 15 years ago when we got our first handlebar mounted garmin.
Farmguy, I wish it would work for me. I have tried three browsers on my Mac and have tried on my Chromebook. None of the programs will allow me to re-order the stops. What am I doing wrong?

Robert

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Farmguy, I wish it would work for me. I have tried three browsers on my Mac and have tried on my Chromebook. None of the programs will allow me to re-order the stops. What am I doing wrong?

Robert
Assuming it's somewhat similar to the way it looks on a PC (win 10 and chrome) click on My Trips tab and a list of your saved trips would appear. It will have one point on the map for the start of each saved route'

Click on one of the names to make it the active route. Screen will zoom to show the points on that route.

If that is the one you want to edit, hover over the route name again. It will show options to View/Edit, Create Copy, Delete, or Export to GPS.

Select view/edit.

The LHS list will change to a list of the points/stops in the route. should display the route and the currently saved points on the map.

Next, on the LHS again, to when you hover over the route name area a list of options available -- pick view/edit.

In the list, put cursor in the box that contains the point you want to edit/re-order.

As with selecting the route, a list of choices should appear. It should also display a pair of BLACK ARROWS (one points up, the other down)

Place cursor over the black arrows.

Press and hold the select button on pointer device -- you can drag the stop up or down in the list to place it in the desired order.

When you release it will show the new route on the map.

I find it easier to do than to type out.

Post back if I messed up in instructions.

EDIT to add:

For trial/test do a route with jest a few points (5 or 6?) til comfortable with how it works.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A highly experienced adventurer I ran into swears by this https://maps.me/ on smartphone for off-grid usage. I don't have any experience with it myself. I trust her assessment that it gives good search and location info. My suspicion is the routing (i.e. the "turn left here") piece may not be what you grow to expect from Google Maps and Garmin. If anyone plays with it, please share your observations.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I guess I live in the past. There are two programs I use, one much more than the other.

One is Microsoft Streets and Trips. They stopped updating the program in 2013 but it still works. You plan your route using waypoints and then export that route to a GPX file. The program is very easy to use, just hard to find, if you don't already own a copy.

The only issues I have run into have been with some multi-lane roads where my waypoint is in the south bound lanes and I am in the north bound lanes. The GPS just tries to route me over there and back. Not a big deal, just a deal.

The key is that you set up waypoints on the computer. This sets the route. The actually mapping program is just there to get the waypoints where you want then, latitude and longitude I suspect. The GPS takes these points and does the routing. So you only use the mapping program to locate the waypoints. The more waypoints the more likely you will take the route you wish.

I also have Mapsource installed on my PC but have not used it recently. It's sort of there if I need it when Streets and Trips fails.

I dowloaded it last year from Garmin. Here is the link.

https://garmin-mapsource.en.lo4d.com/

Another thread on same subject.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/12-...ces/450765-mapping-program-create-routes.html

One more thing, if you have a Mac (which is what I use) you can run Microsoft operating systems on the Mac using a program called VMware Fusion. Its what I use to run windows 7 on my Mac just so I can keep using Microsoft Streets and trips.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Something I just recently bounced (back) into - Mapquest!

Now, I've not dorked around with trying to spit out a GPX yet, but what it *can* do is optimize a route - 26 data points at a time.

Optimization might take you onto fastest routes, instead of scenic routes...but 26 data points - for free - is pretty good.

EDIT: no GPX output.

·
Administrator
3,718 Posts
I see a lot of comments about putting in waypoints and then letting the GPS or the routing program choose your route based on your waypoints. My experience has shown that I want to designate my own route between stops, not let a program or GPS pick my route.

If I have time to plan a ride I usually know where and how I want to go, but I just want the GPS to tell me that I will be turning left onto FM XXXX in 1.3 miles and that I will arrive at my final destination at 7:15 PM. It's also there to jog my aging memory cells in case I forget.

Even my new Zumo 595LM will take me on crazy routes if I just pick a designation. I let it lead me home from visiting Tom Finch recently, for I was in no hurry and wanted to see where it was taking me. I normally make the trip in 5.5 hours on all SH and FM roads (no interstates, although it would be faster), but the ride following the Zumo’s directions took over an hour more even though it is set to “Fastest route”.

Now if I am not familiar with my location or don’t know how to find my destination I will follow Gypsy’s instructions to the letter!

Glen

1 - 20 of 56 Posts