GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... just an observation. I put Royal Purple in the lady after using Rotella T, Mobil oil, Honda oil, Amsoil, and I have found in this East Tennessee weather, hot as hell, their 10w40 is UNBELIEVABLE! I change the oil yesterday took it out for a short ride due to the 4th traffic, not much difference. Today in the hot of the day, 93 in Sevierville, Tenn. the fan didn't come on as much, and with the radio off I actually heard the turn signal clicking. This is something I've never heard ever since I bought the wing. The shifting both up and down are a lot smoother, and if you are just right on the shifting, clutch/gear change, it's almost like an automatic. That part is hard to explain it's just different. The bike is a lot quieter, as I said. $18+ dollars a quart might be a little steep, but the "extended" oil change may make a difference. But, hey, it's the lady... and she is worth it! Right??
:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Nothing like that new oil smell. :wrong:

If it gives you the warm fuzzies, go for it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm interested in your opinion in regard to this oil in lets say 1000 miles. I know that Royal Purple is a good high quality oil & if you still feel the same after 1000 miles I will try it on my next oil change. Thanks for the report.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
QT,
Well Sir, after using a couple of kinds of motor oil in my '99 Bounder motorhome, I tried Royal Purple too. The weight was 5W-20 if I recall. Now, engine was/is a V-10 Ford. It seemed to run maybe just a tad bit better/smoother and, I think it crept up a tad in fuel mileage. I was used to around 6.5-7 mpg for the most part but, after the change, it seemed to hover around 7-7.5.

It could all be in my head. But, you said you paid $18.00 per quart? WOW! If I recall, when I bought the 5W-20, about a year ago, it was around $7.95 per quart. I'll re-read your post again to see if I read it correct. I thought about putting some Royal Purple in the Wing but, I'd have to look up all the specs to make sure it's got all the codes and stuff that make it applicable to the bike and not harm the clutch etc. Good to hear someones tried it.
Scott

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hey can I have a puff of that

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I should try some of that too! My bike has not done any of the things the OP claims his is doing! :shrug:

Hey can I have a puff of that

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
The fans come on to cool the engine, NOT the oil. I guess whatever suits you is good to go.

I would rather use dino oil and change it every 8,000 miles than to use amsoil for 3 times the money. Where am I saving money by buying the expensive stuff?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could all be in my head. But, you said you paid $18.00 per quart? WOW! If I recall, when I bought the 5W-20, about a year ago, it was around $7.95 per quart.

I purchased it from Advanced auto. The product is:
Royal Purple Synthetic oil with syneriec
Max-Cycle
High Performance
Motorcycle and ATV Oil
SAE 10W-40
MADE IN THE USA.. Texas to be exact
I call the tech department and quiz-ed them about the product. The answered all my questions.
I should have around 1000 miles this week on the oil. Full tank of gas, proper PSI in the tires. I give you my report later.. Geo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just changing your oil at the recommended intervals with decent oil and your engine will last several hundred thousand miles. What more would you want.
There is a point of deminishing returns with everything and IMHO $18/QT oil is one of them

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There is a point of deminishing returns with everything and IMHO $18/QT oil is one of them
And the more you ride the more often you have to spend money on new tires. So what? It's his money and it's his decision on how he wants to spend it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
And the more you ride the more often you have to spend money on new tires. So what? It's his money and it's his decision on how he wants to spend it.
And your point is . . . . . ?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I see you said it's almost like an automatic.
For $18.00 per quart, it should shift the bike for you.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys...Guys...Guys.....,,,

..... as I stated it's not a debate! I'm looking for a very good USA oil to put in MY bike, using MY money. This is for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!!
Can motor oil make your engine run cooler? Can it give you more fuel mileage? Can you get more horse power? Is the price of pot too high? Yes, Yes, Yes,
and hell yes! Watch the infomercial attached, and believe what you want. I worked 50 years to earn my money to buy and try anything I want, and if you
can get a little information from it for free, more power to you!

http://www.royalpurple.com/motorcycle-oil.html

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the site...."Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something;" BUT if you look at the top of the page in the second block it says, and I quote "Here's to the pursuit of nothing less that first, America's most trusted oil. Not just oil, Pennzoil. Am I missing something. Again I'm trying something different than Mobil, Shell, Rotella, Honda. Maybe it is better. Maybe it turns the bike into an automatic. It even could bring the price of pot down.
Tell ya what. I'm gonna try it, and keep the results to myself. Sorry I brought it up.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
From the site...."Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something;" BUT if you look at the top of the page in the second block it says, and I quote "Here's to the pursuit of nothing less that first, America's most trusted oil. Not just oil, Pennzoil. Am I missing something. Again I'm trying something different than Mobil, Shell, Rotella, Honda. Maybe it is better. Maybe it turns the bike into an automatic. It even could bring the price of pot down.
Tell ya what. I'm gonna try it, and keep the results to myself. Sorry I brought it up.
I was not posting this as a insult to you or royal purple, just as a site where you could look up oil analysis. I have nothing against any oil, in fact I'm sure most are very good. My brother is a big "Royal Purple" fan with h

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I was not posting this as a insult to you or royal purple, just as a site where you could look up oil analysis. I have nothing against any oil, in fact I'm sure most are very good. My brother is a big "Royal Purple" fan with his Harley...me, I'm cheap but it's not my money you or my brother is spending. Again, I did not mean to offend you, my apologies if I did.

Rob

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was not posting this as a insult to you or royal purple, just as a site where you could look up oil analysis. I have nothing against any oil, in fact I'm sure most are very good. My brother is a big "Royal Purple" fan with h
Sorry, I understand what you were trying to do, but it seems like when someone on this board swims against the flow, someone throws the sharks in. I apologize to you, bucfan...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts