GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who want an opinion on th this product, I have just completed about 1200 miles with this oil in the 'wing, and have nothing bad to say about it. I have taken it to Huntsville, Ala., up to Nashville, Tn. down to Chattanooga, Tn. and back to Kodak. In this heat it performed flawlessly. The bike ran smooth, very very quiet, and had better fuel mileage. My recommendation if you want to pay the price, and smooth and quiet your ride out more than it is now, buy it. Or if your satisfied with the way it's running now, don't. Royal Purple is a very fine product and I'm sure if you want to use it you can look around you can find this oil a little cheaper than I did.
I've done my part.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
For those who want an opinion on th this product, I have just completed about 1200 miles with this oil in the 'wing, and have nothing bad to say about it. I have taken it to Huntsville, Ala., up to Nashville, Tn. down to Chattanooga, Tn. and back to Kodak. In this heat it performed flawlessly. The bike ran smooth, very very quiet, and had better fuel mileage. My recommendation if you want to pay the price, and smooth and quiet your ride out more than it is now, buy it. Or if your satisfied with the way it's running now, don't. Royal Purple is a very fine product and I'm sure if you want to use it you can look around you can find this oil a little cheaper than I did.
I've done my part.
I have considered trying Royal Purple too.
I had several customers that run it in their fleet trucks with very good results.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I am interested in Royal Purple but they do not release their testing results so I am on the fence

Mark

I am supposed to meet with one of their reps next week on a not oil related project, but will ask him if he has any data that he can share.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What weight did you use and where did you get it? I cannot find it anywhere. Only "Some" car oils at the local stores like Advance and Auto Zone.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
What weight did you use and where did you get it? I cannot find it anywhere. Only "Some" car oils at the local stores like Advance and Auto Zone.
I tried it for one change-out cycle (~4,000 miles). Had no issues at all. Got it at O'Reilly's.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
In order for a fuel economy comparison to be believable, you would need to ride the exact same route several times to accumulate a few thousand miles while measuring and recording the fuel economy each time you did the route. You would need to repeat the procedure with a quality petroleum based oil in the crankcase. Finally, you would need for someone else to put the two test oils in the crankcase so that you had no idea which oil you were using. After doing all that, then you might have a good idea as to whether the Royal Purple is really more fuel efficient and by how much.

Blind or double blind testing is required in scientific investigations involving human effort because there is always some level of subconscious bias one way or another that influences behavior (and results). I wish someone would do an experiment such as I described and test several oils, petroleum based and synthetic, to see if there is a measurable difference.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've done my part.
Had a '67 GTX and a dealer said if I put that oil in my cars engine I would never have an oil related problem, the only problem is that Royal Purple wouldn't stay in the engine, the dealer would add oil but it still didn't stay. He returned my money and I put 20-50 Castrol in and never lost any oil. BTW, that 440 never used any oil before the RP, and never did after I stopped useing it. Just sayin! By the way, the oil I now use in the wing does the same thing and somewhat cheaper. :shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
No disrespect intended but, 1200 miles does not a good lubricant make!
8K miles w/flawless shifts and no foaming does make a pretty good lubricant!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

Honda (Idemitsu) full-synth gives this to me, and so would plenty of other brands of quality oils. I'm sure Royal Purple is wonderful per reputation, but the "myth" created and circulated sounds quite like Amsoil... I'll pass.

No disrespect intended but, 1200 miles does not a good lubricant make!
8K miles w/flawless shifts and no foaming does make a pretty good lubricant!

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
Come on, it's oil. Use ANY motorcycle specific 10/30 or 10/40 it does not matter with the mighty wing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts