GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Royal Purple

I use to use it in everything I had,it will sure quite down an engine.It even makes a lawnmower sound so sweet.Thats when I worked the oil salesman would sell us 5gal for 40 bucks,and said it is good for 20K miles. I don't believe in that 20K mile stuff,but I did let it go 8K,but changed the filter at 4K.Then as the years went on he got to 70 bucks for the 5gal and I quit using it.I don't think it is any better than Mobile 1,or any other fine oil like Castrol which has racked up well over 100K on wings with 20W50 dyno oil.Well one day I was buying oil at a MC shop when they said the best oil we got is Royal purple.I said I get it for 40 bucks for 5 gal,he hit the roof,and said that was as cheap as he could get it.We talked about the milage and he said that is a salesman,never been in a engine in his life,and would not let any oil stay for 20K miles.He said the pople preaching theis are salesman,not machanics. I do think it is a superior oil and wont hurt you wing.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haze - thanks for your post. I picked up 4 qts and will try it next change. As a side note, I've tried the Honda stuff (both regular and synthetic blend), Mobil I, Castrol, and Pennzoil. The Castrol has performed the best so far (IMHO). I too hesitate to leave oil in an engine for such extended periods but that's just me. I'll get a few thousand miles on the Purple stuff and let you know.

·
Registered
891 Posts
DT you are going to love the stuff

I guess I stoped cause I was getting it so cheap,then when the salesman had us hooked he doubbled the price,but it was still cheaper than you can buy it for.Only problem you can't tell when it is dirty. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts