GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the store for some Rotella-T and they were out of it. Noticed some Royal Purple and I thought I'd give it a try.
(Listen closely; you can actually hear Bulldog groan and roll his eyes)

We're about to take off on a little 4,000 mile trip; any predictions? Fuel economy, clunking, cold-weather starting?
I'll check back in next week.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can't give any valuable information regarding Royal Purple in motorcycles, but some of the guys I know in the high performance diesel truck forums swear by the stuff.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
I went to the store for some Rotella-T and they were out of it. Noticed some Royal Purple and I thought I'd give it a try.
(Listen closely; you can actually hear Bulldog groan and roll his eyes)

We're about to take off on a little 4,000 mile trip; any predictions? Fuel economy, clunking, cold-weather starting?
I'll check back in next week.
I used RP in my '02 for many thousand's of miles and now use it in my '05 (engine/tran and rear drive).

While my '02 preferred the RP even over Mobil I, the '05 has had RP for only a few hundred miles so I can't really give much a report on it.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulldog said:
ABB,
" If you like it, I Love it!".....LOL
Dawg
You're a cool guy, Dog.
I put Amsoil gear lube back in the rear end; the old stuff was still a perfect clear green and there was almost no shavings on the magnet.
I couldn't find my crush washers. I'm discovering that a few things didn't make it to my new house when we moved (Honey, where's my favorite pants?). Professional movers, indeed.

PS: You would've loved Wingstock.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Bulldog why do you advertise Amsoil for two other vendors? Do I have this right. Just wondering.

G

·
Royal Purple is a good oil, as are dozens of others. Any oil that meets SAE spec MA, and motorcycle spec JASO T-903, whether it is synthetic or dino, will be fine. All of the hype claims in motor oil advertising hype is just that...hype... and 99.9% horse crap.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
IBTrike said:
Royal Purple is a good oil, as are dozens of others. Any oil that meets SAE spec MA, and motorcycle spec JASO T-903, whether it is synthetic or dino, will be fine. All of the hype claims in motor oil advertising hype is just that...hype... and 99.9% horse crap.

Ride safe.
My oil is only 98% horse crap!!!!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IBTrike said:

Ride safe.
But, but, but, it's purple.... :tools1:
Other oils aren't purple. :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I had my Nomad the Vulcan Riders forum really talked up Royal Purple, so I started using it in my Nomad. I had no side effects at all and the bike shifted better. I liked it because you can get it at most Napa stores.

I'm using Amsoil now in the Wing based on feedback here and my dealer. If I couldn't get Amsoil, I would probably be using Royal Purple.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RP is excellent stuff. I was involved in a long term fleet use study a few years ago (mutiple vehicle types) and the final analysis rated RP and Mobil 1 as the top performers among the synthethics (Amsoil wasn't involved, sorry). The overall ratings between the two were very close. "Availability" tilted the scales toward M1, but that seems to be changing - RP is becoming more available and certain types of M1 are becoming scarce... Go figure...

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ironmike120 said:
RP is excellent stuff. I was involved in a long term fleet use study a few years ago (mutiple vehicle types) and the final analysis rated RP and Mobil 1 as the top performers among the synthethics (Amsoil wasn't involved, sorry). The overall ratings between the two were very close. "Availability" tilted the scales toward M1, but that seems to be changing - RP is becoming more available and certain types of M1 are becoming scarce... Go figure...
Did they test Redline also?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did they test Redline also?
Not as I recall... I called an old friend who was also involved - a guy reknown for keeping records - and he agreed that Redline was not in the test. It was limited to manufacturers/distributors who were responding to RFIs on a competitive govt contract. There were about 20+ bidders.

..oops... RFI = Request for Information

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.