GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just bought an 06 with all the bells and whistles. He has a serious problem that Honda can't seem to fix. With bike at idle rpm increases dramatically when the bars are turned to the left. According to Al, the increase can be a smuch as 1500 RPM's. He has marked the grip and the bar to insure that the throttle is not moving and the increase continues. This bike is two weeks old and it's been in the shop most of that time. Honda now says that this is a normal thing. No such problem on my 05. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the throttle cable. If it were binding, the motion of turning the bars to the left might be pulling on it enough to elevate the idle speed.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The throttle cables must be binding somewhere. I would have it checked for proper routing of the cables.

WARRANTY ITEM!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Check the routing of the cables. If that's okay back off the throttle cable adjust a little.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have not tried already, you may want to put a little extra free play in the throttle cable adjustment. I would hope the dealer mechanics would have done this already.

I just bought an 06, and thought there was a little too much free play in the throttle. I adjusted it until I was happy with a little under 1/4" with the bars centered and on the center stand. As soon as I got the bike on the ground, started it, and turned to the left to get out of the drive way, the RPM increased as you described. Added just a little more free play to just over a 1/4", and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Problem with throttle cable, adjustment, or routing. The speed increase is not normal. You should be able to move the bars lock to lock without any change in idle speed. Your dealer/mechanic is full of feces or doesn't know what he is talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts