GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ya'll ,i'ts been awhile ,i have more info ,so i would like some in put ... 01' rpm when i hold the throttle steady at say 1300.. the tac will bounce from 700 to 1700 ,honda told me this is common. #2 when i accelerate from a stop or under load ,around 1500 rpm it spits and stutters untill around 3300 rpm.honda had the bike for two months and changed the pressure reg. and 2 injectors this did nothing. what do i do now? :oops: :shock:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
joded said:
hi ya'll ,i'ts been awhile ,i have more info ,so i would like some in put ... 01' rpm when i hold the throttle steady at say 1300.. the tac will bounce from 700 to 1700 ,honda told me this is common. #2 when i accelerate from a stop or under load ,around 1500 rpm it spits and stutters untill around 3300 rpm.honda had the bike for two months and changed the pressure reg. and 2 injectors this did nothing. what do i do now? :oops: :shock:
I don't think it's common, but isn't that beside the point? It needs to get fixed.

If the mechanic at the dealer can't fix it they need to get Honda involved and get a solution.

JMHO :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am not the most experienced person on this topic but I would suspect a vacuum leak or the idle air control valve.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Take it to a different Dealer as there is nothing you can do to fix it as it sounds as though it's an ECM problem. There is a recall on all the ECM's for the GL1800.

:yw1:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
"honda told me this is common"

That is the typical cop-out I have gotten from the Honda Tech Line through the Dealer and Customer (Dis)Service. Sorry to say but you will probably be out on your own with this problem even if you take it to other Dealers, the Honda Tech Line will see that you have had it to the primary Dealer and most likely not allow any others to work on the problem that they have waved their Magic Wand over and declared "Normal".

See if your state has emissions requirements for M/C's. If they do then persue it through the Emissions Issue. Another method would be Lemon Laws if you are not exempt, as most of us are. Other than that see if you can make friends with an Automotive Emissions Expert that would be willing to help diagnose your 80's style ECM controlled FI System. It will be a big step backwards in time for a current Auto Tech to work on it but with luck you may be able to find one who still knows how to work on those old fashioned sealed systems. Try asking the local Emissions Test Centers to recomend a good Auto Repair shop the may specialize in the old stuff & cross your fingers.

BTW mine used to surge at least as bad as yours if not worse and that stopped when the Vacuum Controlled Fuel Pressure Regulator was replaced by me. It won't hurt to double check the Vacuum Hose to the Regulator to make sure it was re-attached. Also have the Fuel Pressure Double Checked to verify that there is a Good unit in the bike, even new ones may be bad -- just remember the deffective ones came out of stock too.

Good Luck, you'll need it with the Honda Tech Line running the show.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
We do have a lemon law in CA. If they want to play hard ball teach them how. It's about time that Honda understands the number of poor repairs stations that are out there. And for those dealers that think they can just push the problems under the rug, it's time to make them accountable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts