GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: What are the readings at 70 mph?

Also, how does one check and adjust tire pressure on the rear wheel? That sucker is covered by hardbags and fender, etc.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
To check my tire pressure on the rear wheel I lie on a piece of cardboard and stick my head up to the tire. No real nice way to do it. Then I have my wife help me get up. LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
Its easy to check the rear tire pressure. Just put the bike on the center stand, get out your creeper and lay on it beside the left side of the bike and turn the tire til the stem is down and test it.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Seems like the indicated RPM for Indicated 70 is 2950.

How fast you are actually going is dependent on rear tire size. With an OEM 60 series you will be going about 64.5 mph when indicating 70.

With an E3 70 tire you will be going about 71 mph when indicating 70.

3,000 RPM with an E3 70 tire is about 72 mph true.

Inflating the tire with an accurate inline gage is the easiest, because you know what the tire pressure is while you are inflating it, avoiding the multiple times you have to check, fill, check fill, check, dump, check until you get it right.

You must put the bike on the center stand to check the tire. If you have an OEM 60 series rear tire and can not raise the bike on the center stand after setting the height on 25, get help. If that does not solve getting it up on the stand, lay a 1 by 6 on the ground cross wise and ride up on it and stop. Set the rear height to 25. Park the bike on the side stand, get off, and put the bike up on the center stand. Make sure the lift lever of the stand does not land on the 1 by 6.

The 1 by 6 must be not too far out to the left so as not to interfere with the lift lever of the center stand. Have help standing by in case you lose it.

Warning: When you park with the rear tire on the 1X6, when you lean the bike over on the side stand, it will lean a lot farther than usual, so be ready to let it over easy.

If your area is unlevel, the rear tire may still be on the 1 by 6 after it is on the center stand, preventing you from manually turning the wheel.

Either work the 1 by 6 out manually or put the bike in reverse and power it out by bumping the reverse to slide the board forward. That is why you need to put the board cross wise so it will not hit the stand while still under the tire.

The bike must be in neutral and out of reverse to rotate the wheel manually to access the valve.

If you have an E3 70 tire, you will not need any block to get it on the center stand, as the tire is taller by the thickness of a 1 by 6.

If the ground is unlevel, you may not be able to turn the rear wheel with an E3 70 tire because it is still touching while on the center stand. IF this is the case, just bump it around with the reverse button a little at a time. This is easier if someone watches for the valve to come into view for you.

Don't do this where the bike can fall on somehting if you lose it while attempting to put it on the center stand.

Be sure the side stand is down when you roll the bike off the stand if you are beside the bike. If you are astride the bike when rolling it off the stand, you may need help pushing it off.

Hope this helps.

Tom

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
quietguy said:
Question: What are the readings at 70 mph?....
On my bike with an OEM tire at 3000rpm in 5th gear, my actual (corrected) speed is 67mph. That would calculate to be about 3134rpm at a true 70mph.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know some have a problem putting an 1800 on the center stand.
A couple of hints.
Put the bike in neutral first.
Put right foot on center stand lever, grab passenger rail at lowest point,(close to seat) think pushing down rather than pulling up.
I'm 5'7", 165 lbs. and have no trouble getting my '02 up on the stand and my rear suspension is set at 12.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
i know a guy that just rode his wing to the dealer to have the tire air pressure checked, that worked great for him untill he bought tires somewhere else, some folks just don't know enough to appreciate a good thing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all respondents, your time and effort is appreciated.

My questions were pretty basic.

Safe riding...

Lennie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts