GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the rpm to speed numbers are for a regular goldwing. I think at 55 mph I am turning 2500 rpm. I am trying to find out why my milage is so low.:eek:4:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Does anyone know what the rpm to speed numbers are for a regular goldwing. I think at 55 mph I am turning 2500 rpm. I am trying to find out why my milage is so low.:eek:4:
That's about right.

Mileage on a trike is poor, partly because of weight, mostly because the trike makes the barn door aerodynamics of the Wing a substantially bigger barn door. A trailer can't help either. There's no real cure, you can get a bit better mileage by shifting at lower rpm.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
On my '06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith I have the following speed/gear relationship per GPS:

2nd @2500 rpm =25 mph
3rd @2500 rpm = 35 mph
4th @2500 rpm = 45 mph
5th @2500 rpm = 55 mph

Been on a two week trip to Smoky Mountains running two-up and fully loaded and averaging 37 mpg.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
That's about right.

Mileage on a trike is poor, partly because of weight, mostly because the trike makes the barn door aerodynamics of the Wing a substantially bigger barn door. A trailer can't help either. There's no real cure, you can get a bit better mileage by shifting at lower rpm.
A different opinion:
Not sure what you mean by stating "Mileage on a trike is poor":shrug:
We are trying to determine what may be causing lower figures on the OP's CSC trike.
While one does lose MPG's by triking, his seems to be unusually lower.
Before triking I was getting 42/45mpg(using the Honda speedo to figure). After converting to a Hannigan, I am getting 34 to 38mpg. Most of my riding is highway/2up. These figures are during "summer" weather using non-ethanol gas.
I do not consider those figures poor mileage

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get 30 to 32 miles pr gal I used to worry about it living in Kansas where the wind blow all v the time. I have been on 4 trike ride in diff part of the country. and found out you drive the same roads at the same speed as everone else you will get the same gas miles they do

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Does anyone know what the rpm to speed numbers are for a regular goldwing.
Indicated 3000 RPM shows around 70MPH
Indicated 5500 RPM shows close to 130MPH; calculate from there. :coffee1:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I guess the MPG is just the way it is. I teach renewable energy, manufacturing and you know engineers, they always want to change things. I just wish I could get rid of the sooted tail pipes.:eek:4:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Michael,
The first out of town trip I took on our '06 CSC I compared RPM vs speed numbers with some friends on their non converted Goldwings, the numbers matched exactly. The reason I did this was our '99 with a CSC conversion the RPMs ran about 50% higher compared to non converted GW at the same speed. Sorry about the confusion "deputy dawg".
On MPG, an interesting note, a couple that ride with us a lot have a Lehman conversion and he always get 10% better gas mileage than me. We have ridden together for over 10,000 miles and it's always been that way.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Michael,
The first out of town trip I took on our '06 CSC I compared RPM vs speed numbers with some friends on their non converted Goldwings, the numbers matched exactly. The reason I did this was our '99 with a CSC conversion ran about 50% higher compared to non converted GW.
On MPG, an interesting not, a couple that ride with us alot have a Lehman conversion and he always get 10% better gas mileage than me. We have ridden together for over 10,000 miles and it's always been that way.
:?::shrug::?:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks everyone, I guess the MPG is just the way it is. I teach renewable energy, manufacturing and you know engineers, they always want to change things. I just wish I could get rid of the sooted tail pipes.:eek:4:
Put turn downs on it. The soot may still be there but you won't see it!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sooted taiilpipes? Neither of my wings have sooted tailpipes unless maybe the engine isn't getting warmed up good enough due to very short trips and/or cold temp's or is running rich from a dirty air filter or other reasons. We just got back off a 1400 mile trip running 70 most of the time on the Interstates and I averaged overall right between 34-35 mpg with the MT Fastback on the '02 and we didn't let any grass grow under the wheels for sure. Pulling a trailer sure won't help the mileage either.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would guess the culprit (for both relatively lower MPG and sooted pipes) may be the apparently restrictive mufflers used by the manufacturer :shrug:

Photo borrowed from member Team5150

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That looks like and early 01 - 05 tailpipe tip grafted on to a "tin can" with a tiny hole punched in it!

Strange .

Trev.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It was suggest that I try baker trike wings. I did and I got 2 mpg better. I rode the Trail of Tears ride last month so I added them to my 2 wheel GW. MPG went up on it but not as much as the trike increase was. I did get 50 mpg on a couple of tanks and around 47 on the rest which is much better than the past. The best I have ever gotten was 46 mpg before.
They help reduce heat on your lower portion of you legs in summer and keeps wind off of ya in cooler weather. Your legs or feet will not get wet with em.
Some seem to get 36+mpg on their trike I have not seen those numbers yet. I have gotten 35 mpg with the trike wings but only 33 without them.

Each person is different, riding preferences, fuel type, weather all play a role in mpg. My cousin and I ride together and we both have GL1800's mine is a 2010 and his is a 2006, I beat him with mpg every time we ride.

Just a thought

dd

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just figured my mileage this morning from a trip yesterday. I ran 453 miles on 15.5 gallons loaded and pulling my trailer. That figures just over 29 mpg. My speeds were 60-70 mph. My typical riding without the trailer is usually in the 32-34 mpg range depending on how aggressive I get with the right hand. Mine is an '08 with a '10 CSC conversion. I have never done better than 34 since it has been a trike. JB

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DimondJim, I love that seat. :thumbup: Where did you get it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It may just be your machine. I have ridden 6 1800's for a total of approximately 397,000 miles. No two of them got the same mileage, ran the same, handled the same, sounded the same and they were all set up alike. There's nothing scientific about my conclusion, but I think they are like people: no two are exactly the same, so there's not much point in comparing them as far as gas mileage or handling unless you know for a fact something is wrong. There is just a tweak somewhere that is a little different. The 1500's were the same way. I never rode any two of them that matched exactly.:shrug:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Particle, Tom Simmons in Fayetteville, AR has been making custom seats for years. I have had several different seats on many bikes over the years but this is the best by far. He also gave me a great deal which retained the factory heat. The seat is water resistant but he gave me a set of raincovers for it. Some of the best money I have ever spent on a bike.

http://tscustomseats.com/gpage.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
Low MPG

If you are getting soot in your tail pipes your dumping to much fuel into it, When the 1800's first came out in 2001 a few bikes had problems with running rich and i think it was o2 sencor problems i'm not a Honda expert but thats what i read here on GL1800 riders web. site you may have it checked, cheyfinn
i seen one of your other post and answered on the wrong one, cheyfinn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts