GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rpm range do you stay in at any speed you are riding. Obviously this doesn't apply to high speeds, but lets say between 30 and 60 mph.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I don't watch the tach...for shifting or cruising. From days when a tach was not supplied, you learned to "feel" the bike and what it's comfort zone was.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I never lug the motor,once I'm over 40mph I'm usually in 5th unless I'm going uphill.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't watch the tach...for shifting or cruising. From days when a tach was not supplied, you learned to "feel" the bike and what it's comfort zone was.
I agree. A tach is a nice gadget but you certainly don't need it to tell you when to shift. I really have no idea what the slow cruising engine speed is but I can safely say somewhere between 2000 and 4000 rpm's.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When not on the highway, I usually stay between 2000 to 3000 rpms... depending on the situation, it can start lugging below 2000 and I don't like that.:eek:4: And unless I'm on the interstate, I don't think I go over 3000. Come to think of it, even on the interstate, it probably hovers around 3000 rmps. I guess I'll find out tomorrow as I head out for Utah!:doorag:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Naaa, No tach here. Do pay attention to the speedo though. Back when I was racing I had the tach right in my line of sight. Shifting at the absolutely correct RPM's meant tenths of a second in a race.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I read in the manual when I first got my bike that we were supposed to shift at some pretty low rpm's, (i think it went on speed), for my liking, I don't remember what it said now but I do remember talking about it. I shift when it needs shifted and have no clue what the tach reads, or what speed i'm at.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I generally keep it above 2,000 RPM but seldom look at the tach (since you can hear/feel it on a bike after a while). I will downshift, though, rather than lug the engine.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Mine spends most of its time between 2,000 and 3000. On the highway. 3500-3600.
Same here. I'm getting into the habit of wearing earplugs on highway trips so I watch the tach as much as the speedometer. The sound is different with earplugs and for some reason so is the feel.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
cruising i do like everyone else here

on a fast twisty road i shift between 5500-6k

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ususally between 2000 and 3000 if I'm paying attention and don't need additional torque.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I try to stay above 2000 RPM while moving.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Similar to others when cruising, usually 2-3k. I go a little higher in the twisties, but not as agressive as Yellow Wolf, usually 4-5 sometimes tap 5500 if I'm feelin' the love. I try to avoid the redline, just cuz.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I actually read my owners manual when I got my new 2012. I was shocked to see that it recommended that I shift up into "Overdrive" at 31 mph and shift down out of "Overdrive" at 22 mph.

That's awfully slow.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There's no reason to increase RPMs unless going up a steep hill or rounding a sharp curve. I shift mine often enough to not strain the engine. To me, high RPMs just use more fuel and don't accomplish much.

2W

·
Registered
246 Posts
Evidently, Honda does not mind the GL running at low RPM's, since the book says to shift into 5th gear at somewhere around 31mph. That is somewhere around 1400 RPM's. I believe in keeping the revs up a little more than that, but the GL seems to run good at around 2500 RPM's. Wallacem

1 - 20 of 27 Posts