GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2012 Gold Wing and when I'm running 70mph, my rpm's are between 3100 and 3200 rpm's. Is this about right? Seems like my 2008 at 70mph was a little less?

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is about what I run with my 01

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Did you compensate for the speedo error on the 08? At true 70MPH, mine is about that, but the speedo is showing 74. Your 12 should be more accurate on the speedometer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also suspect a better speedometer calibration.

On your "08, you were not running 70 MPH as indicated. Maybe 68, more like 67. GPS doesn't lie.

Enjoy the truth.

Ronnie

·
Registered
234 Posts
I took my wife's GPS for a spin on my 2012 level 4 (after installing the power adapter, of course). The 2012 speedo is spot on. I, too, turn 3.1 - 3.2K RPms at 70...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Unfortunately yours is running about the same as the rest of them. Mother Honda and every jap bike I've ever ridden has been under geared. For Christ sake, the wing is spinning half of red line at 70 mph! That's rediculous engineering. The wing produces about 90% of it's torque at just 1500 rpm and they think they need to gear the way thay do. What a joke. Most guys guys that trailer and ride two up will tell you they have enough power in reserve and could use a sixth gear or revised taller gearing.
IMO............The main thing Honda needed to change on the 2012 was to re-gear it or add a sixth gear. Instead they put thier efforts into cosmetic crap and other trivial things for marketing puposes. They let it up to the customer to correct the short commings of the bike, in so much as we can. Things like a lousey suspension, steering bearings, ect....

Good call Honda? NOT!!!!!!! :cry:

Enough of my rant. Honda dosen't listen to me or any of the rest of us that think as I do. I'll give them credit that they got as much of the wing right as they have. Every bike ever designed has flaws and we get to live with them.................if we can't fix them at our own expense.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Bluestreakrem, I hope you don't beat up for those comments the way I did the last few times people have said the same thing. For some odd reason, many of the folks here like to keep the rpm's up on the freeway. They probably turn overdrive off while on the freeway in their cars too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took my wife's GPS for a spin on my 2012 level 4 (after installing the power adapter, of course). The 2012 speedo is spot on. I, too, turn 3.1 - 3.2K RPms at 70...
Thanks JD!!! Good to know these things!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I appreciate the option to roll the throttle on and go.

I ride with a guy that owns a domestic v twin and cannot accelarate in sixth gear. He won't shift into sixth below 55-60 MPH either.

Enjoy the power.

As I recall, BMW has/had a top gear that gives great mileage with near zero accelaration on the interstate.

Be careful what you wish for.

Ronnie

·
Registered
345 Posts
I :agree: a teller 5th gear or a extra 6th gear that would be more like a real OVER DRIVE would be very nice to drop the RPM's by say 500 or so...would mean a hell of a lot on those long flat highways where you ride for hours at a time. Like in the flat lands of Canada...mile after mile of nothingness for as far as the eye and see, and then some...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts