GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in Bryson City right now, getting ready to participate in the SMRI festivities. Today we decided to head north over the Great Smoky Mountains, to visit Gatlinburg, on Rte. 441. Well as soon as we crossed over into Tenn, we slowed to a turtle crawl, and stayed like that for about 10 miles, as they are doing LOADS of road construction there. We were delayed about an hour, and we actually went all the way around (headed east, got on I-40, took 276 south, then 19 west through Maggie Valley & Cherokee, before returning to BC) to get back to Bryson City. We were not about to crawl along for another hour, or possibly even longer since rain was in the area, heading south!

Why on earth they don't do this road work from Nov - May is mind boggling. Yes, I know that sometimes conditions (cold temperature / snow) MAY stop them from doing work, but those conditions are few & far between. Plus, with all the tax $$$ they take in from tourists, they should have no problem completing the work in the off season, instead of in the heart of the tourist season. My wife & I were stunned that they were doing this work now, and making an already slow ride, much, much, much slower.

From the looks of it, they won't be done anytime soon, so fair warning is given! PS - they were working on part of this road last year too!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it near where the landslide took part of the road last year?
Not really sure....it looked like just regular repaving over a large section of the road. Several miles were already completed, but they still have to put down the centerline, so when then do that, you're also going to be doing about 5 mph!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
That's just great. Suppose to be going this same route Friday for a lunch ride.... Just Great !!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Was it near where the landslide took part of the road last year?
No its on the other side of the mountain, and they have been working on it since last fall, you can't do much grading when the ground is frozen solid. There is always too much traffic up through there unless you go before 9am or after 7pm

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Well, that's not good news. We're in Sevierville, heading over to Bryson tomorrow morning (Wed), maybe we can figure a better way. Maybe 19 from Cherokee, looks like it might work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you're in Sevierville, then take 321 to Foothills Pky to hwy129 go down the Dragon and take a left onto 28 to 74 to Bryson City, great scenery and no traffic on a week day. The construction I between you and Cherokee

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Good to know about the 441. We'll be down to the Fontana Dam Resort in a couple of weeks.
Will stay away from there.
thecruiser

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If you're in Sevierville, then take 321 to Foothills Pky to hwy129 go down the Dragon and take a left onto 28 to 74 to Bryson City, great scenery and no traffic on a week day. The construction I between you and Cherokee
Thanks Moon. Plans slightly changed, we plan to head off to the copper mine at Ducktown TN since we will not get to Bryson in time for the ride to the copper mine scheduled for Wednesday.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Come up here to Ohio. Our state flower is the orange construction barrel. They pop up like weeds everywhere in the spring and don't go away until the snow falls. I-71 construction between Cleveland and Columbus has been ongoing for 12 years now. It looks like they have at least two years to go. Then, when they are done, they get to start back at the beginning and do it all over again.

I sucks to have a tourist road backed up, but hey, they have to work on something in the summer. They were doing paving at some point on that road when I was there 4 years ago, down near the foothills.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Great road between sunrise and 10am during non-tourist season. During the Summer and especially leaf season, forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really wondering WHY this post was moved here, EVEN THOUGH IT CONTAINS GREAT INFO FOR ANYONE WHO WILL BE RIDING THEIR MOTORCYCLE IN THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, when I can look at the "General MC" board right now and find LOADS of posts that are MORE out of place there than this one!

ON the "General MC" forum: There are BUNCHES of posts that should be moved to the "Tech" board ASAP, because they deal strictly with technical issues. Then there are BUNCHES of other posts that should be moved to the Photo/Video Sub-forum because they deal strictly with someone posting up photos or videos. There is a post titled "Wing Ding 2015 Location" which has NOT been moved, even though that certainly DEALS STRICTLY WITH AN EVENT.

Who's moderating these boards, Stevie Wonder or Helen Keller? :roll:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Really wondering WHY this post was moved here, EVEN THOUGH IT CONTAINS GREAT INFO FOR ANYONE WHO WILL BE RIDING THEIR MOTORCYCLE IN THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS, when I can look at the "General MC" board right now and find LOADS of posts that are MORE out of place there than this one!

ON the "General MC" forum: There are BUNCHES of posts that should be moved to the "Tech" board ASAP, because they deal strictly with technical issues. Then there are BUNCHES of other posts that should be moved to the Photo/Video Sub-forum because they deal strictly with someone posting up photos or videos. There is a post titled "Wing Ding 2015 Location" which has NOT been moved, even though that certainly DEALS STRICTLY WITH AN EVENT.

Who's moderating these boards, Stevie Wonder or Helen Keller? :roll:
Lot of folks wondering about the new wave mods and how they operate. As I've said before, it is what it is, when you have no input, you live with it. Kind of like politics.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lot of folks wondering about the new wave mods and how they operate. As I've said before, it is what it is, when you have no input, you live with it. Kind of like politics.
A week ago I posted something from the news which was nonpolitical and was picking on nobody and I was banned for seven days. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
A week ago I posted something from the news which was nonpolitical and was picking on nobody and I was banned for seven days. Go figure.

Well! THAT will learn ya by Golly... Who says the handlers have to make sense?
thecruiser

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great road between sunrise and 10am during non-tourist season. During the Summer and especially leaf season, forgetaboutit.
This, us locals pretty much stay off of 441. I've been bit too many times in stop and go traffic, that I pretty much avoid gatlinburg like the plague. I would rather go down the dragon, up foothills parkway and back through townsend than deal with 441 during summer and leaf season.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have seen northbound traffic backed up on the south side of Gatlinburg for MILES trying to get back in, this is really bad in the PM as all the tourist try to get back from their sightseeing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts