GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we go to Wing Ding this year, we plan on traveling from Santa Fe, NM to Tulsa on Rte 66 as much as possible. The trouble is, I can't seem to find it on Mapsource. Are there a variety of different road name/number designations or it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rte 66

A lot of Route 66 in that area is actually Interstate 40.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
When we go to Wing Ding this year, we plan on traveling from Santa Fe, NM to Tulsa on Rte 66 as much as possible. The trouble is, I can't seem to find it on Mapsource. Are there a variety of different road name/number designations or it?
http://www.historic66.com/gps/garmin/

Here's another source.
Is this what you're looking for?
If not, there are a lot of Route 66 maps out there. I just Google'd "Route 66 map GPS"

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
Historical YES
Interesting Route zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
we plan on traveling from Santa Fe, NM to Tulsa on Rte 66 as much as possible.
One reason you might not be able to find it is because RT.66 does not go through Santa Fe, NM. It mostly is I.S. 40 or along side of I.S. 40 through NM. I did it once and got tired of getting on and off of 40 by the time I got to Oklahoma City.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just don't see why anyone would want to ride on what's left of that hiway. Work friends and I rode it from near Tulsa to somewhere out west of Ok City once, sure was glad to get off that piece of crap and on a better road, rough as a cob, and like someone said, ya had to keep getting on and off it a lot. Then one time the wife and I were riding around in Missouri and SHE said she wanted to ride on it for a while, I don't remember where it was, but we got on it and after about 6 miles it more or less turned into a gravel road with patches of asphalt, when I told her it may not get any better, she said to we can turn around and get off this. I've often wandered, is it like this everywhere?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
<...>I don't remember where it was, but we got on it and after about 6 miles it more or less turned into a gravel road with patches of asphalt, when I told her it may not get any better, she said to we can turn around and get off this. I've often wandered, is it like this everywhere?
Longest contiguous stretch of what used to be US-66 is now AZ-66 east of Kingman, AZ, I believe.

·
Registered
684 Posts
One reason you might not be able to find it is because RT.66 does not go through Santa Fe, NM. It mostly is I.S. 40 or along side of I.S. 40 through NM. I did it once and got tired of getting on and off of 40 by the time I got to Oklahoma City.

I was in Santa Fe last summer. I have a picture that I took near the church with the park, that has an Indian statue in front of it. This street has a Route 66 sign posted.

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's now a historical road only. It went through Albuquerque (I-40), not Santa Fe. You will find places it's maintained, but it's no longer an easily rideable road "per se." It is marked as Route 66 in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It went through Albuquerque (I-40), not Santa Fe.
I believe that the original Route 66 was routed through Santa Fe to satisfy some political quid pro quo. It then went south to Albuquerque. But later on the route was "straightened out" and skipped Santa Fe.

The section that goes east from Kingman, AZ is not quite a complete yawner. There is a store there with historical photos, etc. and there is also some kind of caverns to see on the route also. Now interstate 40 is pretty boring except for a few moments of terror now and then from the big rigs that own the road.

·
15 year Member
6,930 Posts
A lot of Route 66 in that area is actually Interstate 40.
If you want a "little" taste of what an "OLD" route can do for your heart take Rt 66 through Oatman, AZ I did it in a CAR and, well it is one gnarley road... bring carrots, you'll need em for the donkeys !

Matt(BCNV) ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Most of Rt66 in Texas and NM either is or parralells I-40. But there are a few attractions along the way. At Adrian, TX there is a sign that marks the geographical center of the old RT66 (in my sig).
In Okla the longest stretch is between OKC and Tulsa. The last time I was on it the surface wasn't too bad and it's just a plesant 55-65 mph ride. Stop at a place called "POPS" near Arcadia, OK for a burger and about 1,000 different flavors of soda-pop. If your hungry for something else stop at Stroud and eat at "The Rock Cafe".
And there is always the Caddilac Ranch to see. All in all we normally just follw I-40 and jump off at the attractions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rt.66

You should be able to pick it up around Clinton, OK, but it's on and off till you get to OKC. Pops is real good, but the Rock Cafe burned down a few months ago, and I don't think they are rebuilt again as of yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts