GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Roadtripessentials fender extender arrived, and since the wind chill is about 10* and we have some snow, it looks like a good time to do the install. The directions seem pretty simple and straight forward. Has anyone found a problem, or simpler method? Pointers? Cautions? TIA

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
sammisgrammy said:
My Roadtripessentials fender extender arrived, and since the wind chill is about 10* and we have some snow, it looks like a good time to do the install. The directions seem pretty simple and straight forward. Has anyone found a problem, or simpler method? Pointers? Cautions? TIA
one BIG thing they don't mention ...

once you finish adding the extension and you put the rear portion of the front fender back on you may notice there is a little slop in the screws that hold it on.
That slop actually lets you put the bottom of the fender (the extension) either AWAY from the wheel or, if you're not paying attention :oops:, very CLOSE to the wheel.
MAKE SURE you hold the bottom of the fender AWAY from the wheel when you tighten the screws.
Otherwise,
the new center bold that you added will rub on the tire and within about two miles will begin to melt the new extension.
:cry:

don't ask how I know.

RTE was very generous about sending me a replacement extension.
They said it had happened once or twice before and they were going to add some "caution" note to the install instructions.
Did they?

other than that ... looks great and does keep most junk off the lower cowl.

Dennis

·
Registered
125 Posts
wingwing, did you have an OPPS???? :shock: we all have at one time or another, although some may never admit it. LOL

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wingwing.......Thanks for that pointer!. There is one caution in the instructions

Caution: Some front wheel trailering mounts may interfere with the front fender extension. Verify that you have sufficient clearance before fully engaging the mount.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts