GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I was woundering if any body ever had the rubber boot covering the drive shaft start rubbing on the drive shaft. I was dirving into work @ a brisk 29 degs and heard a strang rubbing noise pulled over put the bike on the center stand and put the bike into first gear, then started pulling covers off and found the rubber boot rubbing on the drive shaft. has any body changed this boot and if so was it hard.
thanks for any info.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Now that was a blast from the past - that was really a common occurrence in the original 01s - reams were written about it. Thought it had gone away. Seems like the assembly boys had a problem seating them. When they wore thru, had to take it apart to put the new one over the shaft.

If you still need a book, email me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
My '03 had that prob.. Dealer said they had to pull the swingarm to do the job.. Never bothered to check that little fact out for myself.. Hmmmm..

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
IF the boot is not loose from its rear seating on the drive shaft and if it is not torn you can get an awl or box nail and heat the tip cherry red to burn a tiny vent hole in the bottom of the boot. It should regain its shape and be free of the shaft. If it has come loose at the front, no biggie, you can put a little soapy water around its lip and tease it back up onto its mooring on the output shafft cover on the back of the engine. Just work at it a bit, maybe remove the coolent recovery tank for better access from below.

BUT; if its loose at the rear or split or permanently deformed; woe unto thee. You are gonna have to pull the swing arm (special tool) to get a new boot on. I've heard folks claim to have done that job insitua with long pliers or forceps, but I sure as Thunder could not, seems impossible to me becasue the rear lip of the boot is right up against the frame and its not wven easy to stretch on with swing arm on the bench.

prs

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Red said:
You can pull the final drive to replace the boot. :)
Ahhhh, just to pull the shaft?? Can you get your fingers in there better with the shaft out??
Once mine was replaced, it came off a bit in the front and it took forever to get it hooked back on... Any secrets to share???

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My boot came off it's front mooring about a week after I purchased my 03 Wing. It not only howled, but it stunk like burnt rubber. Fortunately I stopped quickly and the boot was not torn. I carry a pair of forceps in my tool kit and was able to do a roadside repair. When I arrived home, I found much advice on this board. I took a hot paperclip and melted a small hole in the bottom of the boot to let it vent and applied a few drops of crazy glue under the lip of the boot at the fore and aft mooring positions. Hasn't failed since.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Red said:
You can pull the final drive to replace the boot. :)
If so, that would be a time saver; not easy, but easier. And no special tool needed.

prs

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not an easy job! mine was replaced without removing the swing arm.
Bevel box was removed though.
If the ABS sensor is froze into the casing cut the wire and fit a 2 pin waterproof connector.

Jas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the tips. I will have to replace the boot I think the hot AZ temps rotted the boot. i gess it was good that the boot started rubbing or i may not have found that i needed to replace the torn boot.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
COB said:
Thank for the tips. I will have to replace the boot I think the hot AZ temps rotted the boot. i gess it was good that the boot started rubbing or i may not have found that i needed to replace the torn boot.
What year is your bike? How many miles?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an 03 w/ 56000 and loved putting on every single mile! even when its 16 deg outside

·
Registered
180 Posts
Believe the boot on mine suffered from altitude sickness, makes sense to burn a small hole to take care of a drop in pressure. After being at 8000' for a week mine failed soon after gettin back near sea level

1 - 13 of 13 Posts