GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I know this has been discussed before but like other people I cannot find it.

I would like to know what size and type of rubber hose is being used to put in the seal that goes around the lid on the upper trunk? Also if possible where was it purchased.

My lid is starting to rub on the left side. The dealer told me if I insisted he would order a new lid, but it might not match the rest. I thought I might just try the hose in the seal trick. The only problem is that all I have found is either too big/small or too stiff to get all the way around.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used 1/4" od from Lowes. Worked well. No problem with the OPEN warning light either. I sprayed mine with a little silicone spray, some use WD 40. Started at the front of the trunk where the seal is split and just worked it around half way, then worked it around the other way. Really a poor engineering job on the trunk lid huh!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I elected to use surgical tubing, more like a latex rubber. I just thought the other was a little too stiff. It does require a little work to get it around, but works exellent. I used soapy water and would work it as far as it would go, then back it out and soap it up again. This got me about 3/4 of the way around, then I finished off by going the other direction with the last 1/4.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I used a single piece of 1/4" OD hose. I used soapy water the get the tube through the gasket. When the tube wanted to get stuck, I would blow more sopay water into the gasket.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Go to WalMart and buy some little rubber feet (bumpers) and put them right next to the tabs on the trunk body. Stops the wear and the squeak...it is better than tubing.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
First check the screws on the hinges are snug. When mine started this, I bought the 3/8 inch round felt stickems. Put three on each side, between the wear guides. No more rubbing, you can tell by taking a ride and wipe your finger over the side, powder will appear if rubbing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can actually take out the rubber and straighten it out and then insert the tubbing--much easier then tring to do it while on the bike.

just my 2 cents
phil

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Have never tried the hose thing but have had very good results with clear scotch tape,just put a piece over the rub mark and it eliminated the problem for the past 30,000 miles. If the tape ever wears through I will probably replace it with the same.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Red said:
I used a single piece of 1/4" OD hose. I used soapy water the get the tube through the gasket. When the tube wanted to get stuck, I would blow more sopay water into the gasket.
Thats a better shot of you Red. :croc: It takes years of you. :yes:

:luck: :rw1: :sun1:
:

·
Registered
57 Posts
SAME AS RED!! I did the same as Red except I blew dishwashing soap through the 1/4 inch tubing, using an air hose. That kept the slippery stuff up ahead of the tubing. After completion, I spliced the two tubing ends together with a small "headless" screw. Had a little bit of soap draining from the insertion point, so I temporarily taped a small rag there and raised the trunk lid for awhile to help it drain. I hope this info helps. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the same thing happening on my 01 and it's been ongoing for some time now.

What is it exactly that causes the trunk lid to get misalligned and start rubbing like this.

Thanks,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts